RAID 0 + My Motherboard

fredthebest2003

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Heres what i have:

Asus P7P55D Mobo with 6 sata ports off the intel chipset and 1 more on its own ran by a jmicron controller

I want:

1 SSD for boot
2 HDDs in RAID 0 for storage

Heres my problem:

Quirk with my mother board is that if i set any of the 6 intel sata ports to RAID, anything in any 6 of those ports has to be part of the RAID Array

I already have my dvd drive plugged in to the Jmicron sata port

is there anyone who has had experience with something like this before or who has this motherboard? i dont want to go buying new Hard drives and such before i know what i can and cant do

thanks

What you describe is typically the way motherboard-based RAID works. But you can still do what you want - even with the SATA ports in "RAID" mode you can still configure individual drives as individual, non-RAID volumes.

If your SATA ports are driven by an Intel ICHxx chipset then the latest Intel chipset drivers support passing TRIM commands through to an SSD even if the SATA ports are set to "RAID" mode, as long as the SSD itself is configured as an individual drive and is not part of a multi-drive RAID volume.

fredthebest2003

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
so i could set my sata to "RAID" in bios but then go in to the intel matrix storage settings and configure from there? could i have my optical drive in there too?

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Just curious, why do you want RAID 0 for your "storage" drives? Your SSD/boot is going to have great performance, why put your data at greater risk?

> so i could set my sata to "RAID" in bios but then go in to the intel matrix storage settings and configure from there?

Yes, you should be able to do that.

> could i have my optical drive in there too?

I assume you could, although I haven't tried it myself. The proof is in the pudding - try it and see if it works.

gtvr has a good point about RAID 0...