Radeon 3870 Crossfire issues

grimmp

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Need some help here before I lose my mind...

I recently moved and prior to the move my PC was working fine with all my games...now when I set it back up in my new place, I noticed a couple of my games have some serious graphical problems. First, when I start up GRID, right after the opening movie is over or if I just skip the movie, the following screen which I think is the main menu of the game is severely corrupted. Secondly, when I fire up Fallout 3, when I load my saved game, there are a lot of textures that are missing. I can still play the game but it just drags on, the frame rate is also drastically reduced. Let me reiterate that prior to me moving, I was able to play both of these games without flaws. I can still play Crysis without any problems and a few other games. My system setup is as follows:

CPU - AMD 6400+ 3.2Ghz X2 Black Edition
Memory - 4GB Mushkin PC-6400
Video Card - (2) Radeon 3870's in crossfire
PSU - 600W (don't remember the brand)
HDD - (3) 160GB
OS - Windows VISTA Ultimate 64-bit

Please someone give me some advice before I drop $300 on a 4870!

Looks like your PC could have been damaged in the move. Take out both your graphics cards and inspect your motherboard for cracks. If you have cracks in your PCI-E slots then getting a 4870 will just be a waste of money because it will give you the same problem. Then test one GPU in the system at a time. If they both work AND they work in BOTH SLOTS, then try them again in crossfire. Make sure they are properly seated and that your crossfire connector is properly connected.

I agree with the other posters in that it is likely something getting dislodged or the mobo, however a new 4870 does not cost $300 anymore.

I was shocked to find out last night you can get one from sapphire with their new aftermarket cooling system for an amazing $189 after $10 rebate. (Weekend special).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102810

grimmp

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thats good info, I appreciate it. I'm getting ready to take one of my cards out in hopes of figuring out if one of them is not working. I get windows errors all the time talking about my video device drivers or something like that. Thanks for all the help guys!

grimmp

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Soooooooooooo I took both cards out and put one back in at a time and got the same result with both cards. I do have a question, since both my cards have 2 crossfire connections on them, do I have to put 2 bridges on or just one. I've had 2 on ever since I bought these things, just don't know if thats wrong or not.