Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer screen go crazy and glitch out when i overclock my gpu

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2010 11:25:18 PM

Ok so when I overclock my grapics card at all the screen starts to twitch a little like a static line shooting across the screen when i move a window around, does not do it when I have the computer at idle and no work is being done on the desktop.

My setup is:
x2 Dimond 5770 (crossfire) 1gb each
4gb ddr3 ram
Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz
725w power supply
Windows 7 home basic 64bit
i have a water cooled system though out my computer, and aftermarket gpu coolers
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 11:33:16 PM

what brand power supply? I'm assuming HP? are the aftermarket GPU coolers watercooled as well? what are the overclock values?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2010 11:27:34 AM

its a pretty cheap power supply, don't know the brand of the top of my head, i just had another thing happen today while watching a blu ray movie on my computer, while watching the movie the screen turns a beige color with lines top to bottom the crazy screen starts when i overclock just 5 over default on any video card
m
l
Related resources
March 12, 2010 9:48:22 PM

Using just one 5770, attempt to overclock it alone. let me know what happens, sounds like your crossfire config may be the culprit.
m
l
March 12, 2010 10:06:45 PM

Are you gaming on a 30" monitor? you must be with all that horsepower. Oh wait, bragging rights on a 17" crt is much better when overclocked. give me break.
m
l
March 12, 2010 10:23:58 PM

DiscoDuck said:
Are you gaming on a 30" monitor? you must be with all that horsepower. Oh wait, bragging rights on a 17" crt is much better when overclocked. give me break.

You seem to lack an understanding of what matters in the use of graphics resources; a small lesson for free.

1. Screen size is not relative in a linear fashion to graphics power used, Screen resolution may be what you were looking for to bash him on.

Let me rephrase your post so that it has some semblance of coherence.

"Are you gaming using 2560x1600 resolution? You must be with all that horsepower. Oh wait, bragging rights using 800x600 is much better when overclocked. Give me a break."
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2010 4:24:37 PM

I have a 37" with 1920x1080 don't think that's the problem.

I tried overclocking just one card, and did each one sepretly, still the same problem as before.
I then underclocked it and still flickers like crazy, the only time this video card isn't freaking out is when its on default settings only, this is just confusing the crap out of me, i don't know if its because im running windows 7 64bit or if its the card, or my motherboard, or lack of power from the psu.
And I have tested this using 2 different overclocking tools.
ATI overdrive and,
MSI Afterburner
m
l
March 14, 2010 3:38:13 AM

Quote:
I have a 37" with 1920x1080 don't think that's the problem.

I tried overclocking just one card, and did each one sepretly, still the same problem as before.
I then underclocked it and still flickers like crazy, the only time this video card isn't freaking out is when its on default settings only, this is just confusing the crap out of me, i don't know if its because im running windows 7 64bit or if its the card, or my motherboard, or lack of power from the psu.
And I have tested this using 2 different overclocking tools.
ATI overdrive and,
MSI Afterburner

Did you remove one card? and overclock the one that is still in your computer? Thats what i wanted you to try.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2010 4:26:22 AM

Ok its not doing it with just one in and the other out, so I'm guessing its my PSU not giving enough power for 2 cards and all the fans i have in my computer, and dvd/blu ray drives, tell me if im wrong
m
l
March 14, 2010 7:16:13 AM

725 watts should be more than enough, i have a 650w corsair TX and it runs two 5850's in crossfire. I would try reinstalling all your graphics drivers. remove them manually using CC cleaner or the Windows standard method. Reinstall straight from the website, not from your driver disc. Then try to overclock them again using only CCC, not MSI Afterburner. Let me know how this pans out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2010 2:27:06 PM

Fromtheashes said:
725 watts should be more than enough, i have a 650w corsair TX and it runs two 5850's in crossfire. I would try reinstalling all your graphics drivers. remove them manually using CC cleaner or the Windows standard method. Reinstall straight from the website, not from your driver disc. Then try to overclock them again using only CCC, not MSI Afterburner. Let me know how this pans out.

not necessarily, if its a crappy generic/bad brand it probably can't output what the rated output is

@OP, open the case and get the brand as well as the info for the 12V rail(s)
m
l
March 14, 2010 4:36:11 PM

ok i spent 50 dollars on this 680w PSU it is a Apevia Iceberg blue ATX power supply

Ok sorry to throw all this on this post also, but i just ran into another problem, While i was watching a movie lastnight the screen went beige color with lines all the way accross the screen top to bottom, and froze my computer, i had to do a hard restart, and everything was working fine when windows started back up again.

The only things i can think of is eaither the GPU is overheating while under stress, mobo is fried, or there is a bug in my software somewhere, I didn't even have this many problems going on to vista, but man this windows 7 is giving me a smack right on my ass..
m
l
March 14, 2010 5:43:18 PM

It just seems that all these stupid problems started after i went from windows 7 32bit to 64bit maybe there is just way to many problems with the 64bit when it comes to drivers and so on
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2010 6:06:58 PM

shaffer317 said:
ok i spent 50 dollars on this 680w PSU it is a Apevia Iceberg blue ATX power supply

Ok sorry to throw all this on this post also, but i just ran into another problem, While i was watching a movie lastnight the screen went beige color with lines all the way accross the screen top to bottom, and froze my computer, i had to do a hard restart, and everything was working fine when windows started back up again.

The only things i can think of is eaither the GPU is overheating while under stress, mobo is fried, or there is a bug in my software somewhere, I didn't even have this many problems going on to vista, but man this windows 7 is giving me a smack right on my ass..

return the Apevia PSU, those are junk, get a good one, as Fromtheasges said, the corsair 650TX would be a good one (can be had for $100)
m
l
March 14, 2010 8:50:56 PM

mindless728 said:
return the Apevia PSU, those are junk, get a good one, as Fromtheasges said, the corsair 650TX would be a good one (can be had for $100)

I happened to snag mine for $89.99 with a $20 rebate and for the 4 months iv'e owned it my electric bill has dropped an average of ~$6 a month, it pretty much pays for itself in the long run. Had a 750w diablotek previously, not a great brand.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2010 3:43:56 PM

64-bit can't be the problem unless you don't have correct drivers. I've been running 64-bit since the Vista days and have never had a problem.

It makes me wonder if it's the crossfire configuration then? I know you tested one card. Did you test the other card by itself? Maybe one of the cards is bad.
m
l
March 15, 2010 5:48:31 PM

Ok i just got 2 new 5770s and a 750w antec PSU i'll see how this runs and if it gives me the same problems then we can cancel out the GPU and the PSU, next all i have to check is drivers, and the motherboard, thats all that is left.
m
l
March 16, 2010 3:21:23 AM

Ok with the new fresh out of the box 5770 i am still having the same problems in crossfire, new powersupply and everything, just is not changing
m
l
March 18, 2010 2:22:11 AM

Still doing it guess i need a new motherboard, I went out and bought new RAM also, bought all the cheap stuff first, and now its time to blow 220 dollars on a new motherboard. I guess the plus side to all of this is my computer won't need to parts for another 6 months lmao. Thanks for all the help people.
m
l
!