Sign in with
Your question

In need of advice, first high end video editing system

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2008 8:11:44 PM

Hi,

I'm building a new system for editing video/ movies. I also love games, but the main purpose is to be able to render and burn a full feature (Adobe CS3). I'm willing to shell out, within some reason, to make this thing sing. This system will be comprised of all new parts.

I built a gaming machine back in 2001. Even with a few upgrades, it's no longer meets my needs. I have spent the last month reading reviews and combing the internet for information, and I'm almost there. (or so I think)

My "cart" is full, but I haven't pressed "confirm"

-----------------

Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9650
Graphics: 2 x DIAMOND 4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-Bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Sound Card: Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Case:
Power Supply:
RAM: 2 x DDR2 Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G
Monitor: DELL ULTRASHARP 3008WFP 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
DVD RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q
DVD R: ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T
HD1: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
HD2: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker
Mouse: Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse
Keyboard: Saitek PK02 2-Tone USB Standard Eclipse II Keyboard

-----------------------------------------

My questions:

What case?
I have no idea how hot this will get. I've never attempted liquid cooling or overclocking in the past, though I'm not terrified of the idea. The room it will be in doesn't have the greatest ventilation. Totally lost on this one.

Liquid cool now/later/never?

What would you recommend as far as a power supply?

What would you recommend as far as a UPS?

Is this the right mobo?
The formula was really just my best guess. I think DDR2 should be okay, but I'm not positive. Actually, what would be the benefit of waiting for that next series of Intel boards?

What main monitor?
I will be using a second monitor, but I want the main one to be huge. The Dell 3008WFP seems to do well, though I've read a few negative reviews.

If you see anything else I've missed, please let me know. Thank you for your input.
November 10, 2008 11:23:13 PM

maragin,

Are you going to be working as a professional film editor? Are you going to be editing motion picture films?
November 10, 2008 11:35:19 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
maragin,

Are you going to be working as a professional film editor? Are you going to be editing motion picture films?

I take it that I am not the only one thinking this is overkill for video editing :p 
Related resources
November 11, 2008 12:23:46 AM

This could very well be overkill. I arrived at the components by choosing what looked like the top in each category, without going for super-extreme gaming solutions.

I make independent films. After finishing several short movies, I was unhappy with slower rendering on my and my editor's system. As timelines got longer, with heavy effects and color correction, it slowed to a crawl. Just rendering sections of the film were taking entirely too long. Rending out to DVD for an effect filled short film took so long, I shuddered at the idea of how long it would take for a full feature.

It should be noted that gaming is also a priority, but not the sole purpose of the system. My system was too slow for me to truly enjoy the newest games.

So yes, this is intended to be a professional level editing system for full feature films.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
November 13, 2008 5:58:15 PM

I'm still hopeful for some advice on this board, but if not, is there a better forum for video editing/ gaming computer advice? This was the first place I tried, since I like the site.

I'm trying to be patient, but I also would love to get this project into the "production" phase.
November 15, 2008 1:14:29 AM

I checked the forum and used the search engine. There does not appear to be a section for video and film editing.
!