Are all amd 945's created equal?

Solution
The difference between those processor is the stepping, Phenom II originally launched with C2 stepping, and AMD recently began shipping C3 stepping. C3 is currently only found in certain processor models, and started with the 965 and has been moving it's way down to lower models. C3 was designed to reduce voltage and power consumption, is more likely to reach a 4.0ghz overclock, and has a better memory controller. To distinguish C2 from C3 by model number is like this.

HDX945FBGIBOX = C2, you'll notice it ends in I
HDX945WFGMBOX = C3, you'll notice it ends in M

That very last letter, although not the only one that varies between these 2 945's, is the key to knowing if it's C2 or C3. This holds true to other processor models as well.
They are the same but different I know LOL.

1st one
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 ((((125W)))) Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
This one is a 125 watt model

2nd
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 ((((95W)))) Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103809
This one is 95 watt

Now I know with Intel they come out with an S model of there best selling processors after they been on the market for a little bit. The S model is a lower power processor to save energy not sure if this is what AMD does too. It could also be just that AMD did a revision and found a way to lower the power eithier way the lower power one is better it will run cooler and overclock better.

loneninja

Distinguished
The difference between those processor is the stepping, Phenom II originally launched with C2 stepping, and AMD recently began shipping C3 stepping. C3 is currently only found in certain processor models, and started with the 965 and has been moving it's way down to lower models. C3 was designed to reduce voltage and power consumption, is more likely to reach a 4.0ghz overclock, and has a better memory controller. To distinguish C2 from C3 by model number is like this.

HDX945FBGIBOX = C2, you'll notice it ends in I
HDX945WFGMBOX = C3, you'll notice it ends in M

That very last letter, although not the only one that varies between these 2 945's, is the key to knowing if it's C2 or C3. This holds true to other processor models as well.

Solution

guggas

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
So, darn, I bought the C2, do you think its worth sending it back to get the C3 ? The C3 is actually $17 cheaper. So by the time I pay the shipping costs both ways I would come out even. Assuming they don't charge me a restocking fee. But is it worth the hassle? I probably will overclock some but not too much, I think I would be happy with 3.4ghz. what is your opinions..

loneninja

Distinguished
I don't think it's going to matter much, 4.0Ghz would be really hard to achieve without an unlocked multiplier. Besides, you said you got it because it's listed as compatible with your motherboard, it's possible C3 won't be compatible. Clock for clock the performance is the same, I wouldn't worry about it.