Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Cool'n'Quiet

Last response: in Overclocking
March 12, 2010 6:23:34 AM

Hi
I don't know if I placed this thread in good category because it concerns downclocking and I don't know if it is a mainboard or cpu failure.

I have Athlon64 Venice 3000+ (1800MHz/1.4V) E3 on MSI Neo4-F (MS-7125, nforce4) mainboard. This system was working properly for about 5 years under following conditions. CPU was overclocked to 2250MHz (250MHz, 1.4V, HT 4x, DDR 208MHz). In idle it was downclocked to 5x multiplier at 1.1V using RMClock.

A few days ago Windows was giving a lot of BSOD randomly (stop 0x7f, 0x8e, 0x50...). Then I went back to default settings but it helped only for one/two days. I checked memory with Memtest also but there was no errors. So I decided to reinstall windows.

After Windows installation was completed (xp sp3 integrated 12/2009 and all driverpacks) everything was working. Then I installed AMD CnQ driver and RMClock. And I found the reason of BSODs. CPU works properly with 5x and 9x multiplier (several minutes in SuperPI) but system halts after changing the voltage. Down to 1.225V everything is OK but then I set 1.2V and I get BSOD immediately. CPU temp is normal (23C idle, 38 load) and all fans are working. So I left the voltage set to 1.3V in idle.
I looked at the mainboard and I found that all (five) capacitors 3300uF/6,3V are "pumped". I found also that these capacitors are NOT low ESR !!!. On all mainbord only only one capacitor is low esr !!! I replaced all these capacitors with new one and low esr.

After a few days windows couldn't start. Each time I got bsod at the beginning of loading. Then I tried to reinstall the system but each time I get bsod during checking hdd (error ntfs.sys), curing copying files (error fastfat.sys) or after first reboot. I thought that could be a problem with hdd or pata controller. I ckecked smart and I found:
Ultra ATA Error Rate: Val - 200; Worst - 188; Raw - 12
Next day I tried with sata hdd but the system restarts after copying files and decompressing driverpacks. The same roblem occurs with my pata hdd which was fully formatted. So it was not a hdd problem.
I guessed that driverpacks integrated with windows instalation have amd driver which may cause a problem with donclocking. So I tried to install windows xp sp2 without driverpacks. And it was working. Then I was installing drivers to find a problem:
- graphic card - working
- nforce - working
- AMD Cool'n'Quiet - working
- RMClock - bsods after each decrease of multiplier or voltage, cpu can work only on 9x and 1.4V

Next step I disabled CnQ in bios and tried to install xp sp3 once again. And.. it is working !!!.

So the problem is with Cool'n'Quiet. I can't change any parameters of cpu because I get bsod each time. The best way is to disable CnQ in bios. On 1.4V and 9x it is working properly, no bsod under superpi and other cpu testing programs.
I tried also to modify cpu multiplier in bios. Each decrease cause system freeze after showing system info in table and system can't boot. It is working only on 9x.

Is it a mainboard or cpu failure?

I observed also that cpu is working slower than usual e.g. youtube cause 100% cpu usage. I tested the cpu in everest (v5.30) and compared to similar Athlon64 (my cpu / athlon64 3200+):

CPU Queen: 2185 / 3500
CPU Photoworxx: 3300 / 4150
CPU Zlib: 9500 / 11814
CPU AES: 2006 / 2602
FPU Julia: 761 / 853
FPU Mandel: 235 / 308
FPU SinJulia: 373 / 447

Memory test results compared to AthlonXP 3200+/DDR400/nForce2:

Kingston 2x512MB DDR400

Read: 3013 / 2876
Write: 2397 / 3023
Memory Copy: 2642 / 2930
Latency: 56,5 / 96,1

Are these results correct?

regards

More about : problem cool quiet

a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2010 12:59:32 PM

Well, since you were running it OCed for 5 years, (and most CPUs are supposed to last 3 years at normal settings), it's probably seen it's best days and it's best to go and upgrade.

March 12, 2010 3:02:25 PM

That's right but when cpu is going dead, it usually have a problem with running on full load. My problem occurs when cpu is in idle and I trying to decrease multiplier. If it was a voltage, ok, it would be this. But decreasing multiplier only?
Related resources
March 12, 2010 5:17:30 PM

Try putting the CPU into another working system and see if you get the same results. A CPU that has been OC'd for that long definitely has mileage on it. If the CPU checks out then you have narrowed down your search. I would still would consider an upgrade as isamuelson has mentioned. Your pushing the threshold of being too thrifty and I love being thrifty. Good luck.
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2010 5:30:04 PM

cmsydney said:
That's right but when cpu is going dead, it usually have a problem with running on full load. My problem occurs when cpu is in idle and I trying to decrease multiplier. If it was a voltage, ok, it would be this. But decreasing multiplier only?

Maybe not though. I would say, when you're letting your foot off the gas peddle and the car doesn't quite function well anymore, there's a problem. I'd say the 5 years of running this in an overclocked mode has either caused an issue with your motherboard or the CPU.

As GenXer stated, if you can, put it into another motherboard and see what happens. Otherwise, it's time to upgrade.

I just spent $250 max on the following:

New AM2 Gigabyte motherboard - $39 after $20 instant discount for buying the CPU
AMD AM3-socket Phenom II X3 720 Black edition - $99
4 gigs of DDR2-800 memory - $89

Everything else I was able to keep (video card, hard drives, DVD ROM, etc).

The Black Edition CPUs have the multiplier unlocked, so they are prime for overclocking. Also, X3s have 4 cores, it's just that the 4th core is locked due to a problem found in testing, etc. However, there are many out there that unlock just fine (you must have the right kind of motherboard for it) and I have been lucky that mine is one of them.

I really think it's time to let the horse go to pasture, so to speak with what you have depending on what it is you're doing. If you're overclocking, you're either doing it for gaming or multimedia/3d modeling.

Therefore, go get an AM2/AM3 motherboard, get an AM3 CPU (it's backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards and can use DDR2 memory on AM2 boards, DDR3 memory on AM3 boards) and if overclocking is something you still want to do, get the Black Edition AMD CPUs (X3 or X4).

The prices have come down a lot and like me, you might not have to spend a whole heck of a lot. I guess it depends on what your video card is (hopefully PCIe and not AGP or else you'll have to upgrade that as well).

March 13, 2010 7:16:17 AM

Cpu was overclocked but computer was usually used in windows and sometimes for watching movies, so cpu wasn't fully load for longer time. And I didn't increased the voltage, which is the most destructive for the cpu.
But I can't understand why the cpu is working properly on full load but I can't decrease multiplier. Furthermore, I overclocked cpu once again to 9x250MHz and it is stable on full load. Because it is still working properly, there is no need to upgrade. I just can't use CnQ.
Does anyone knows how exactly CnQ works? It means how cpu and mainboard communicates mutually?
I know that the simplest way is to chekc the cpu on other mainboard but I don't know anyone who has socket 939...
!