Your question

First new build in a few years.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2008 6:44:05 AM

I'm getting ready to build a new system for the first time in a few years, and I think I've got a pretty good selection of parts chosen. But as I said, it's been a few years since the last time around so I figured it would probably be wise to ask for some advice from those more knowledgeable than myself. :) 

I'm in the rough budget range I want to be with these parts, but wouldn't mind spending a little bit more if it's going to be worth the extra money. And of course, I wouldn't mind lowering the cost if I'm wasting money.

So here's my list:

Mobo:
MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:
AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition

PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

RAM:
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

GPU:
ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M/A Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Sound:
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 70SB104000000 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface

CPU Cooler:
Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler

I have a few specific areas I'm questioning:
Is that PSU powerful enough that I'll have room to add an extra HDD or two and another 4870 in the future?
I've read a couple threads recommending people get DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 1066 because they'll never see the benefits of the faster RAM anyway. Does that apply in my case as well?
Would it be worth it to double the RAM to 8Gb?

I suppose this may be an entirely separate question, but I'll throw it in here anyway: I will be purchasing a 1080p HDTV very soon. I would like to use it as a monitor for my PC, both for the graphic design work I do as well as gaming. How viable is this?

I welcome any feedback, including politely telling me I'm an idiot - just so long as you also tell me how to not be an idiot anymore. :) 

Thanks!

More about : build years

November 11, 2008 7:28:47 AM

your power supply is more than substantial. 750w is going to easily b enough for a couple of HHD's and a couple of GPU's. IT also has an efficiency of 83%. The efficiency si basically how much it will take from the mains to generate the required watts. For example, if you have an 800w PSU and it has a 50% efficiency it will require 800 + (800/4) = 1200w to generate its max 800w output.

I agree with the threads, get ddr2 800, no need for ddr2 1066 but im no expert on RAM so dont take my word as golden.

You will be able to use your HDTV as a monitor, as long as your GPU has an HDMI output or converter, which yours does. I do with mine build occationally and it lush!!!!
November 11, 2008 7:30:16 AM

oops that should be 800 + (800/2) = 1200w

You are going to want to get a PSU with an efficiency of around 80%
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 11, 2008 11:14:03 AM

Hey I'm new here, but I just saw your post.
First of all your PSU is great, I'm using it right now the black one.
It's pretty much future proof and from your specs yeah it'll be more than enough.
Here is what I'm running without any issues with the exact same psu.

Intel c2d E6850 @ 3.0ghz
4870x2
7gb of DDR2 CL4 @ 800mhz Patriot extreme ( I highly recommend these) I've tried using other brands, now they are up for sale.
320gbx2 Raid 0
1tb Storage hd

and everything is fine and stable.

btw you will not be disapointed with the 4870. even if its 512mb
I have one right now, just sitting here now. I did add a aftermarket cooler (Accelro)
to go silent, It's cheap and I idle at 43, full load never goes past 57, and it's OC'd to 780mhz/1ghz\

I suggest you to add a aftermarket cooler. or beware.. Prepare for global warming.. this thing gets super hot and is loud
Louder than my stock 4870x2
November 11, 2008 11:51:45 AM

I don't want to start a war, and I do have an AMD build, but if I was building new right now, I would be looking at an Intel build.
November 11, 2008 12:29:47 PM

If youre going to overclock this machine, I would recommend switching to Intel. You will get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same price as the AMD parts you listed you can get the Q6600 and a decent Intel board. The AMD 9550 cant touch the Q6600 when overclocking. And if you dont plan on running Xfire, you can get an even cheaper board and upgrade to the 4870 1GB.
November 11, 2008 5:31:43 PM

dirtmountain said:
The AMD will perform better with 1066, for Intel the 800 is fine unless it's an extreme overclock. Look here for good cooler recommendations www.frostytech.com
Here for a good article about CPU scaling with the HD4870x2
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770

Thanks for those links - especially the first one! I switched to a Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler based off that link. It'll cost a little less, and work a lot better! :) 
Also, how much of a difference is the 1066 going to make? It costs almost twice as much for 1066, so I could either save money or double my RAM going with 800.

jstnkim said:
Hey I'm new here, but I just saw your post.
First of all your PSU is great, I'm using it right now the black one.
It's pretty much future proof and from your specs yeah it'll be more than enough.
Here is what I'm running without any issues with the exact same psu.

Intel c2d E6850 @ 3.0ghz
4870x2
7gb of DDR2 CL4 @ 800mhz Patriot extreme ( I highly recommend these) I've tried using other brands, now they are up for sale.
320gbx2 Raid 0
1tb Storage hd

and everything is fine and stable.

btw you will not be disapointed with the 4870. even if its 512mb
I have one right now, just sitting here now. I did add a aftermarket cooler (Accelro)
to go silent, It's cheap and I idle at 43, full load never goes past 57, and it's OC'd to 780mhz/1ghz\

I suggest you to add a aftermarket cooler. or beware.. Prepare for global warming.. this thing gets super hot and is loud
Louder than my stock 4870x2

You say to get an aftermarket cooler for my GPU. I looked at the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 based off what you said. The reviews seem to be good, and it's fanless too - I'm not really sure if that's good (cause it'll be quiet) or bad (cause there's nothing moving the hot air away). Any thoughts?

blackened144 said:
If youre going to overclock this machine, I would recommend switching to Intel. You will get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same price as the AMD parts you listed you can get the Q6600 and a decent Intel board. The AMD 9550 cant touch the Q6600 when overclocking. And if you dont plan on running Xfire, you can get an even cheaper board and upgrade to the 4870 1GB.

What if I'm not going to overclock? Or is it silly not to overclock anymore? Also, most of the stuff I read about the 4870 1GB said I won't really see any difference except at extremely high resolutions. Is it really worth getting?
November 11, 2008 5:35:24 PM

I forgot to ask this in my last post. If I did switch to an Intel setup, what's a good chipset for ATI cards and potentially Crossfire?
November 12, 2008 10:29:28 PM

Okay, I've modified my build now based on your suggestions and a little more research. It's going to cost a little more than before, but I think it's worth it. Here's the latest build:

CPU:
AMD Phenom 9950 BE

Mobo:
MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX

GPU:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB

PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

RAM:
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

CPU Cooler:
Sunbeam 120mm Core Contact Freezer

Sound:
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels PCI Express

DVD Burner:
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Case:
Thermaltake M9

Keyboard:
RAZER Lycosa

Mouse:
RAZER Copperhead

With a couple extra cooling fans and a couple cables, I'm right around $1300 including shipping. That was the maximum I set on my budget, so any suggestions that cost more will have to be offset somehow. And that goes for AMD vs Intel. I know that Intel has a lot of room to upgrade, but in the benchmarks I've looked at it seems like the 9950 BE performs about as well as a Q6600 and saves about $50 when you factor in both the CPU and Mobo (and in my specific build, it might actually be an even bigger price difference because Newegg happens to have a great combo deal on the CPU and Mobo I wanted). This doesn't seem worth it to me.

Any thoughts - either on that or the build in general?
November 12, 2008 10:35:42 PM

you don't need anything special for a card to play WoW. I use this budget card and can play at full specs and still get 60-80 FPS (1600x1250) in Orgrimmar at the bank !
XFX 8600GT Got 2g system ram to support it and other than the heat issue I had due to the case it seems good enough. If your just playing WoW save your money and get something middle of the road. It's not that demanding.

~AWS 32°~
November 12, 2008 10:44:01 PM

I don't play WoW, and don't plan on it. I tried it out a year or two ago and it didn't catch my interest. I want to be able to play the latest FPS titles on decent settings, and be able to do so on future titles for a while as well.
November 12, 2008 11:07:03 PM

It's all good. You just confused me a bit. :)