What should I upgrade next? And what will be worth it?

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Ok, So I'm new here but so many people with great knowledge so I'm going to ask away. I am sure there is alot of threads similar to mine, But I was getting a head ache trying to find bits and peices of other threads to some what answer mine.
My current build is
Intel based system

Nothing has been over-clocked yet so everything is at stock speeds

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz
Asus P5Q Green Mobo
7 GB DDr2 Patriot Extreme CL4 @ 800mhz
320gb Raid +0 @ 640gb
1tb Storage
HD4870x2
(HD4870 w/Accelro cooler as backup) basically a spare
Blu-ray Drive
All on Windows Vista ultimate 64-bit

22" Dell monitor.. The one with the little mic and cam on the top
57" DLP 1080P HDTV (I use both for gaming and movie watching)

It took me awhile but I upgraded little by little, And I think I finished but Still isn't filling up that thirst of satisfaction.
What should be my next upgrade?
I was going to possibly upgrade my monitor but the 57" comes out really clear, alot better than my 22"

so I was considering upgrading my cpu to a yorkie, maybe a Q series 9650 or so. But wasn't sure if I'll see a noticable performance gain to be worth that cash,

So I come to you pros for some advice, do I leave it the way it is, or Do I upgrade something else?

I use my comp as an everday use of everything! web browsing, Movie watching, Gaming high graphic games. and still the low end games such as wc3 :bounce:

I appreciate everyones suggestion, and I am sorry for my bad english. thanks!

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Oh and I forgot to mention im using a 750 watt pc power and cooling silencer psu.

and o1die thanks for the reply, should I feel at ease and feel complete now ? safe to say I'm pretty good to go for the next year or so when the i7 becomes alittle more worth buying? I saw the i7 reviews and it doesnt seem worth getting at all yet, not worth getting probably for another 6 months to an year.
Some how I dont feel like I have my super pc yet or dream pc.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I wouldnt upgrade anything, but I would get a nice CPU cooler(Im assuming your still running the stock heatsink) and OC the hell outta that baby. I would save the money you want to upgrade with now and get an i7 down the road.

It's possible you could experience some minor hiccups now and again with very CPU intensive titles. If you really have the cash to throw around you might upgrade the CPU and OC it.

Otherwise a good cooler and moderate OC on that CPU would probably be all you need.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Agree. I would not upgrade anything.
If you were, I would select a good CPU cooler to add to the system that was compatible with the i7.

Then OC your CPU if you need more oomph.
When you upgrade to i7 in the future, you can transfer the CPU cooler.

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Ah i greatly appreciate the suggestions. Actually I'm not on stock cooler, I'm using this giant.. I mean GIANT heatsink, mainly wanted to aim for silent pc, but having a 4870x2 sorta defeated that. I'm using some Heatink with 10 pipe coolers, Forgot the name. But it really does cool well, even without the fan that it comes with. When I had my 4870 with aftermarket cooler, it was actually cool inside, I felt no heat, till i put this 4870x2 in.

So everyone is suggesting Possibly go new cpu if I have the funds, if not just stick with this but OC to its full potiental correct? is the E6850 that great? the specs sorta made me sad compared to all these new yorkie cpus, ended up doubting its potiental

with all these great feedbacks im getting excited now :bounce:

It's just a question of it being enough.

If you were gaming at higher resolutions, and had a second 4870X2 in quad crossfire, then you might be seeing some CPU bottlenecking.

In Warhammer, I have been having less issues in big keep battles because my CPU is overclocked to 3.6ghz, even though others with the same video cards have problems.

So, I know that in some instances a little extra CPU power can be good... but unless you are seeing some specific need it's not going to make a big difference. Large scale strategy games, MS Flight Sim, and online titles that can have 100s of players on the screen at once are examples where the CPU can get worked.

There's nothing you've listed or described that seems in need of an upgrade. That leaves only afterthoughts, like mouse, keyboard, desk lamp, game controller(s) (of whatever ilk), UPS, a nice chair, rolling cart for desk junk, other ergonomic stuff. If you're just looking for some feeling of new to scratch that itch, any of those might help.

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I'm not planning on getting another or new video card till maybe the next generation, and if what you say is true, then I guess there is really no point on me upgrading my cpu, cause by then we should be in a new generation of cpus or i7's with lowered prices including the ddr3 (hopefully gets better) and mobos cheaper.

I havn't tried to OC yet. I suppose I'll do that
Mean while I should save up again, so I can upgrade possibly Q3 of 09,
But seeing how I dont see much apps and games out there that uses up full quad or dual cores. I guess I'm pretty safe for the next year or so ?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

If you already have the aftermarket heatsink, you should be good to push the CPU to about 4Ghz. That paired with the 4870X2 will easily last you until Q3 of 2009.

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

LOLLL well I am actually upgrading my keyboard to a Logitech Dinovo edge, and Mouse to a Logitech G7.
Other than that I dont see anything else. Got a comfty leather roll chair with a seat warmer on it.
So I guess its safe to say, My build is pretty set for another year or so ?

jstnkim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

haha yeah, gets cold in my studio, nothing is better than a seat warmer :bounce: