When will this processor die, or will it?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have an E4300 that has been running at 2.4 gigahertz for the past two years. Its been solid the whole time, and with such a mild overclock (from 1.8 to 2.4, only a 66 megahertz FSB increase on a chip which was originally just a clocked down to 200 from 266), its not wonder why the processor has been going so strong. The processor is on a Gigabyte P965 board.

And all I had to do was increase the voltage by very little. In fact, I might be able to pull it off with no increase, but I have no desire to change the settings and possibly affect stability.

Originally, I built this believing it'd only last two years. Well, now its that time. How long do you think this processor will keep chugging along, or with such a mild OC (and really, its to the settings the chip was before Intel clocked down the batch), will it keep going for a lot longer?

And what are the symptoms of a dying CPU? Should I expect there to be some warning signs, or will it just turn up dead one morning?

It should work for longer than you want to keep it. The only warning sign, if any, would be that it no longer works when overclocked. I've never seen a CPU die when the voltage has not been increased or when it has been increased very little.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
if you crank i mean CRANK THE VOLTAGE TO 1.45v

your cpu will last around 7 (plus 3 or minus 1 years) years at 24/7 operation as in a server

as you go to 1.5v it will fall to my guess of 4-6 years

the new hafnium gated cpus's, the 45nm, are very unknown

but... heck a an e8400 has gone from $250 to $170 in 5 years it be $25

over volt it! keep it under 1.47v at full out put