shphunk

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I am not of a very high tech level, so this makes no sense to me. I just want to see if I did something unusual so this doesn't happen again.

A week ago I bought a new GPU (XFX 5770) and installed it. It was a tight fit for my old system and I had to unplug my HD from teh Sata port and plug it back in (not sure if I plugged it back into the same port.) When I tried to boot my comp back up, I got an error, and had to boot from my Windows CD. End result, I had to reinstall Win7 Pro and lost everything on the HD.

It was backed up, so the end result isn't that bad, but I just dont want this to happen again when I buy some upgrades for another comp.

What did I do wrong here?!

Thanks

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Hard to tell, without knowing the error. Two possibilities come to mind.
1. I know that some motherboards come with some sata ports attached to one controller and some to another. Switching controllers might have broken the install.
2. A new piece of hardware (the vid card) might have broken driver compatibility. But I would think that it would fall back on the default windows drivers.

I don't think that either of these are very likely, but it was something software obviously and those are the only ideas that come to mind.