Sign in with
Your question

SSD+HDD Raid Advantages

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2010 5:16:53 AM

Is there any advantage in setting up a RAID0 with a 30 gig SSD and a 1Tb HDD? Ideally, the OS could install on the SSD to boot faster and the HDD would be a continuation of the same drive. Not 100% sure on how RAID sets itself up, but would one drive be filled first then the other or is it random? Does it vary by motherboard? Thanks
a c 415 G Storage
April 17, 2010 7:39:55 AM

Nope, that doesn't make any sense. Every other group of blocks for the OS would be on the slow disk, and every other group of blocks for the data would be on the SSD.

Just keep the two separate, install the OS on the SSD (C:\), and put all your data files into folders on the HDD (probably D:\).
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:46:13 PM

sminlal said:
Nope, that doesn't make any sense. Every other group of blocks for the OS would be on the slow disk, and every other group of blocks for the data would be on the SSD.

Just keep the two separate, install the OS on the SSD (C:\), and put all your data files into folders on the HDD (probably D:\).

So would I have a faster theoretical read speed if I were to buy 2 HDDs and put them in RAID0 than an SSD for the OS and a large HDD for everything else?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 24, 2010 4:45:36 PM

In terms of read speed (i.e., transfer rate) most SSDs will outperform two HDDs in RAID 0. For access times, SSDs are about 100X faster than HDDs, and using RAID does NOT improve access times.

For most people the sweet spot in terms of getting a lot of performance bang for the buck is to buy an SSD large enough to hold the OS and your applications and then use one or more hard drives for bulk storage of data files.
m
l
!