780i and onboard audio assistance.

End0rphins

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hi, Im use to using a deticated soundcard, but lately heard good things about onboard audio and wondering if i should just stick with that for my next setup with a 780i
suggestions/opinions? Im not an audiophile, but sound is quite important in my games and didnt want it to be a system hog like ive heard?
-thx

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

End0rphins why not try them both and see which one you like the best.don't know what sound card you have but they both have there advantages and dis advantages.

the last two builds I've had have been on board sound.your right about on board it is getting better.hope this helps you out

End0rphins

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I had a sound blaster audigy SE 7.1(PCI) when it first came out, so that was a while back, compared to better products now a days.
But I was looking at the AuzenTech X-Fi Forte 7.1 (PCI-E) or something similar.
I like the EAX support, but shelling out around 200 bucks for something Im not sure Im fully ultilizing is the trouble Im having, haha
Major, hows your experience with the onboard, or do you agree with what i am saying?
BTW: thx for the input and suggestions. guys'

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

End0rphins I like the on board sound.10 to 15 years ago I wouldhave bought the sound card . Now a days I'm going with on board and putting the extra money in video or cpu or mobo.the onboard sound and the sound card is still your choose. you want be sorry with onboard in my opinion.hope this has helped you out.lol

End0rphins

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Yes it has, I have had the same ideas in mind, as my new rig is on a decent budget, and i think ill jus pick up vista 32 until windows 7 comes around lol
ive heard some soundcards have some issues with vista, and vista utilizes onboard better at the moment, but i could be wrong.
as long as i can hear bad guys behind me haha
thx

I gotta agree here - I have a 680i board and frankly cannot tell any difference between the onboard audio and an SB Audigy XFi, at least using a Klipsch Promedia speaker system. Of course, I don't claim to have "golden ears" either :).

Onboard audio takes a certain percentage of CPU usage, but generally it's really low. That was Creative's main selling point back in the days of the 486, but is hardly relevant today. However Creative does have more extensive software with more features, if that is important to the OP. Personally, I just set up my onboard audio once and then leave it alone - great for games and gaming.