ATI agp 8x probs help request/suggest?

G

Earlier this year I was asked to build a PC with reasonable specs and to watch the $$ being spent, person wanted to replace a 7 year old PC while still doing the tasks they were already involved with.

The final build ended up with AMD 64 X2 5200 cpu, MSI MS-7312 mobo, 2 giggles ram, with a ATI Radeon 9200 agp 8x vid card, (cust. had just bought it for a fair $ at the time). Windows 2000 Pro (fully updated according to MS)

The system is not stable, the user can experience crashes at stray odd moments.
The best I can track down, Video problems seems to force a crash with a resultant request to forward a report to ATI. A survey of usage says No modern games on machine, user usually has about 6-8 applications open and switches between them, the main machine seems to handle everything well except for the video crashing. I finally got the user to admit that it mostly crashes while playing freecell thats part of the win2000 install.

Now I wonder if a different video card might correct the headaches.
Any suggestions on a mature AGP 8X card that has working drivers for Windows 2000???
Thanks!

G

well, I can honestly state that the original PS in the new case was defunct (antec 430) the replacement PS is a 500W'er. I calculated that should have been enough. I will get and run the prime95 on it to see what that indicates Monday when I can get back to that machine. Tanks for the suggestion there.
A little reading on Prime95 suggests that will test most of the hardware, but maybe not stress the video??

G

According to the ATI site, the driver package is current as of 3 weeks ago, the problems have been occuring for the last 5 months. And the ATI site (as I read it) has NOT updated the drivers for the combination in quite some time