USB 2.0 ports in XP Pro: Device Manager Confusion

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • USB
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 15, 2011 3:11:18 PM

Hi, all ==

I'm using a self-built PC (2006): Pentium4, ASUS P4PE mb, 2GB RAM, XP Pro SP3. The P4PE board has a total of 6 USB ports, 4 onboard plus 2 additional, attached via a small ribbon cable.

I use this machine for multi-media audio (even though it's ancient). A MIDI hardware control surface (a bank of knobs, buttons and faders/sliders) serves as a physical interface for my recording software BUT it's terribly slow in transmitting movements to the software virtual controls. I thought it must be a software issue, but maybe it's really a USB issue.

See screen shot image above.
I'm not familiar with XP Pro Device Manager as it relates to USB. I can't tell whether my six (6) USB ports are all running at 2.0. To me, only the first one seems to indicate USB 2.0 speed, and the other 3 seem to indicate 1.1 speed... Also, the list seems to represent only four (4) ports when my system has six (6) physical ports.

Q1. Can you help me understand whether all 6 USB ports are operational within Win XP?

Q2. Can you help me make sure all 6 ports are operating at 2.0 speed?

More about : usb ports pro device manager confusion

a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 5:04:43 PM

Not all ports on a system may be usb2. Let's say a vendor has a motherboard that has a chipset that offers 4 USB2 ports. The vendor wants to have 8 USB ports to compete. They buy an add-on chip that runs 4 more USB ports, but that chip may be USB1.

To check which ports are what speed, download a disk transfer benchmark (HDTach or something), and run a benchmark on all of your ports. If some run much slower than others, those are USB1.
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:07:38 PM

Here's a screen shot from the .PDF manual. As I read it (and I could be wrong) the system can accommodate 4 USB 2.0 ports on the mother board, and another 2 USB 2.0 ports via its included adapter, as I stated above. Am I not understanding this correctly?

In the screen shot below, the first USB Controller, which is "2.0 Enhanced" uses driver 5.1.2600.0 dated 6/1/2002. But USB Controllers 2, 3, 4 use a different driver, 5.1.2600.5512 with an earlier date, 7/1/2001.

The system has six physical USB ports. I need all 6 to operate at 2.0 speed. I have no idea of how to proceed. Duh.
m
l
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 5:20:12 PM

Did you check for driver updates for the board? Did you test the ports to make sure they are physically USB2? It may be the device you are using also, do a drive transfer test on the ports to see what speed they are running at.

You may want them to run at USB2 speeds but if they are not, they won't. You can always get an add-on card for $10 or 20 also if it turns on the ports are USB1. That motherboard looks to have USB2 ports all-around though, but they are listed as 2.1/1.1 so who knows. http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4pe-x/e130...
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:23:21 PM

Our posts are overlapping. Please see my post directly above.

Apparently they can run at 1.1 or 2.0. How do I test to see at which speed each is running?

And it appears there are only 4. What about the other 2 (which I assume are the two additional that are not on the MB itself)?
m
l
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 5:35:31 PM

Tom B said:
Our posts are overlapping. Please see my post directly above.

Apparently they can run at 1.1 or 2.0. How do I test to see at which speed each is running?

And it appears there are only 4. What about the other 2 (which I assume are the two additional that are not on the MB itself)?

To check, I put that in the other posts, install a drive benchmark took, run a speed test using a USB drive on the ports. If you get more than 11MB transfer speed, port is USB2.

If you look at the specs, they do list 6 ports. 4, and 2 additional ones.
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:48:12 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you look at the specs, they do list 6 ports. 4, and 2 additional ones.

Dude, that's why I posted the screen shot. To show you there are supposed to be 6...
m
l
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 5:57:25 PM

Do all the ports work? From what I see in my system, every USB port has a matching USB controller in device manager, 2 Enhanced and the rest Universal. I take it you don't see any devices with an error in there?

Try to install the chipset drivers for the motherboard again.

I have seen a slow USB transfer issue that may be similar with HP USB printers if the printer ends up using the wrong driver. Does your device show up in device manager as a USB device? Does it need drivers to run?
m
l
April 15, 2011 10:14:16 PM

Been researching online. MANY users of ASUS P4PE mobos have been experiencing exactly what I have, for years. Most issues involve XP SP3.

The Windows XP "Finding New Hardware" dialog window appears and reports, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

I'll start a new post specific to that issue. Thanks, but I think we're getting nowhere in this thread.
m
l
!