IDE disks boot problem

runner99

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I have just installed a Foxconn P43A mobo and tried to use my existing IDE 80 Gig drive with 2 O/S installed. However, when it gets past the POST, the O/S starts to load, with Windoes gets to the point where there is a row of blocks on the screen, then the whole thing resets!

I bought a SATA disk, installed the O/S on that and it all works fine. I can see the files on the IDE drive and in fact at boot it does see those other O/S partitions but same effect when trying to boot.

I will have a look for new BIOS upgrades and so on but is there something I am missing here? I'm sure I have done this before with new mobos. Perhaps something to do with the disk ordering?

Any ideas greatfully received.

Thanks!

It is because when you change a motherboard, you cannot simply place a hard drive with a previous OS install on it into the new machine and expect it to boot and work. The OS has been installed to work with another motherboard, all the drivers and configuration/resources of the OS are now wrong/incompatable with the new motherboard. You can try a repair installation of the OS on the drive in the new system, and it may work okay. However, you will probably find in time that some things will still be buggy.
New motherboard, you need to reinstall the OS.

runner99

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hi thanks for the input,

I was thinking along the same lines after I posted. I reckon a driver has started up and accessed something on the new mobo and that causes a reset. I wil try a repair (good idea!) and if that fails then a un-install of drives using the original mobo.

If I reinstall will it not mean I lose all my settings, apps that are installed and so on? Does the registry get written again so I have to re-install everything again? Sorry but I have so far kept all my original installs running for years!

Your best bet is to back up all your data.
The repair installation won't remove all your data, but just to be safe you should save all your data files somewhere else.
Do not use the repair console that appears at first when you boot with the Windows disk, choose at first to do a new install, and then Windows searches your drive detects your current installation, it will ask you if want to do a new install, or repair your current install. At this point it will also warn you that if you choose a new install, all your current data will be lost.
From that point, choose the repair install.
If you have to do a complete reinstall, yes you WILL LOSE EVERYTHING.
So no matter what, back up or save all your critical data somewhere else first!
It is a pain, I know....but it's the only way.