Water cooling for noise reduction and not overclocking

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I read the sticky about the different aspects of watercooling and quality components, but I can't seem to find any information if water cooling will reduce noise. Some guys have massive fans on their builds in addition to the watercooling system. I simply want zero noise as my pc that I built is currently sitting in my bedroom. My wife hates the hum in the background and can't sleep unless I shut everything down. I would like to keep it running 24/7 and watercooling seems like the only option.

Any ideas on a decent cooling system that will be perfectly quiet?

Solution
Watercooling still needs fans for the radiators. The pump makes a tiny bit of a hum.

So no, you can't get silent with watercooling. Not overclocking you can get aftermarket air heatsinks for everything. Just as quiet as water pretty much at 1/5th the cost.

Cooling a CPU/GPU is more like $400+, don't know where the $250 idea comes from.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Watercooling still needs fans for the radiators. The pump makes a tiny bit of a hum.

So no, you can't get silent with watercooling. Not overclocking you can get aftermarket air heatsinks for everything. Just as quiet as water pretty much at 1/5th the cost.

Cooling a CPU/GPU is more like $400+, don't know where the $250 idea comes from.

Solution

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure if the fans were absolutely necessary and it's good to know that the pump makes some noise as well. I think I'll go with larger fans than I currently have to try and bring the noise down.

One of the big noise sins of OC'ing is putting to large a fan on the HS. Anything over 1200 rpm is going to make noise.....One way to quiet things down is to use a case with fan control knobs on all the fans like the Antec 1200 or to use a MoBo which has a lot of fan headers and control built into the BIOS. The Asus Rampage II Extreme for example has 8 fan headers, 3 of which can be controlled by thermal sensors you put where you want.

jejeje, the $250 that I said, just was for the CPU

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
So don't EVEN think you have a watercooling answer.

You need to bypass these since you have no clue, you don't frequent watercooling as part of your daily lifeon real WC forums and have nothing to add to any watercooling questions. You just feed off what someone else said, and hopefully not using Toms as your WEAK watercooling source of answers.

What review worldwide just released on the new EK block? What was the result with flowplate #1??? Who was the reviewer?

If you watercool, spend time on 3 forums once a day all about watercooling maybe you have a clue. Then you can help the folks here. Otherwise, your not an expert and only know the basics fed to you by some other internet hack (we know the internet is always 100% right?).

Rant almost done. Addict title means nothing. Asking for a select me as best is just silly, you should be a politician. So everyone knows your lying or clueless.

Of course, this all appies to watercooling. Tell me where you got the $250 cost on cooling. Not that I have said $250 more than a few times in the last month, linking to the Swiftech kit at Jabtech.

Rant done.