Sign in with
Your question

Media Center Build

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
November 11, 2008 6:35:13 PM

Hope this is the right forum. If not, please advise and I will redirect this post. Going to build a Media Center computer and wondering if anyone has recommendations for TV Tuners. I have some hearing loss and am hoping to be able to capture closed captions in my recordings and have them displayed on the TV when I play them back through my Netgear Entertainer media server. I haven't had much luck doing this in the past (don't think my Hauppauge PVR-150 supports captions). I plan on using SageTV for recording (or perhaps Vista Media Center if it works out better).

Here are the basic components I've picked out to start. Any comments or alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated:

Antec P182 case
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 cpu
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cpu cooler
Antec Neopower 650W power supply
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-E video card
Crucial 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
WD Caviar 320 GB SATA boot drive
WD Caviar Green 1 TB secondary drive
ASUS DVD/CD optical drive

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gary

More about : media center build

November 11, 2008 7:08:23 PM

if you are building a computer only for an HTPC, you are spending too much money.

What you might want to consider is getting a cheaper setup and run MythTV on it (free linux-based TV recording / playback software, google it up!).
Anonymous
November 11, 2008 10:24:33 PM

I am considering MythTV, as I already have two systems running Ubuntu Hardy, so I am a bit familiar with Linux. However, still like some feedback on the listed configuration, as I expect this to turn out to be more than just a PVR machine. Thx!
Related resources
November 12, 2008 5:57:46 AM

I use a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and 64-bit Vista. Closed captions work with this setup.
November 12, 2008 6:27:18 AM

Many of your components are overkill. Go with a G31 motherboard with a E5200 and stick in a cheaper GPU. Your not gaming so there is no need for a high end GPU.
November 12, 2008 10:16:34 AM

People, people lets focus here. GLLevine has a question here: closed caption! I have always believe that a person should try to stay with one brand. Example: all ATI or all Nvidia. I have 2 Theater Pro 650 on a 690 chipset and it works great w/ Vista 32. I personaly dont do the CC, but I see why it work for you.
Anonymous
November 12, 2008 4:15:08 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions, greatly appreciated! I have a 10 year old who has his own computer, but there may be games he might want to play on this new machine. So I'm starting to expand the definition of what this machine will do.

Your comments are very helpful and have gotten me to rethinking some of these choices. Thank you all very much!
!