Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

what i really need to upgrade ???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 7, 2008 9:55:21 AM

my current rig is -

intel pentium D 830 (3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 FSB)
GIGABYTE GA-965GM-DS2 (rev. 2.0)
2 x 1 GB DDR2 533
onboard sound and graphics
SAMSUNG 15" Monitor (supports up to 1024x768)
windows xp sp2


i'm a gamer(at least in mind) and mainly i want to upgrade my graphics card. I have choosen ati radeon x1950 xtx 512MB. I want to play the latest games like bionic commando, f.e.a.r. 2, gta 4 or far cry 2 in 1024x768 resolution, all settings turned to medium, anti-aliasing is off and in directx 9 mode.


am i good to go or i need to upgrade any more component ???

More about : upgrade

December 7, 2008 10:28:44 AM

Sorry if it sounds rude, but you need to upgrade EVERYTHING.
December 7, 2008 10:34:26 AM

Get a
P5Q-Pro(In case you want to add another 4670)
Q6600
4 GB DDR2 800
500 GB HDD
HD 4670
Vista HP 64-bit
19" LCD
[assuming you are on a budget]

Otherwise,
Core i7 920
P6T
1 TB HDD
6 GB DDR3 1333
HD 4870
Vista HP 64-bit
24" LCD
Related resources
December 7, 2008 11:50:35 AM

I think you underestimate the power of his PC. Its not that bad, m8.. Upgrade your graphics card maybe to an ATI Radeon HD4850 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Guys please be more sensible.
Quote:
I want to play the latest games like bionic commando, f.e.a.r. 2, gta 4 or far cry 2 in 1024x768 resolution

And you are proposing a 19inch and a 24 inch monitor. He probably doesnt want to spend more than $200 judging from his selection and you are proposing a (atleast) $700 built.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2008 12:11:27 PM

slo said:
I think you underestimate the power of his PC. Its not that bad, m8.. Upgrade your graphics card maybe to an ATI Radeon HD4850 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Guys please be more sensible.
Quote:
I want to play the latest games like bionic commando, f.e.a.r. 2, gta 4 or far cry 2 in 1024x768 resolution

And you are proposing a 19inch and a 24 inch monitor. He probably doesnt want to spend more than $200 judging from his selection and you are proposing a (atleast) $700 built.



Oh man o man if you want to be sensible.....I have an overclocked 4600X2, which is nearly double the performance of your Pentium D, and I used to have a 1950pro. I can honestly say that you are going to be disappointed trying to run anything new with that CPU/GPU combination. Even with an upgrade to a 8800GTS (G92), which is solidly over double the performance of the 1950pro, I can only run these games on mostly medium settings (some settings on high) at 1280x1024. If you want to play the latest, you have to upgrade that Pentium D as well. A 4850 is way more video card than the PD could ever hope to make good use of, the 1950pro does fit with it very nicely. But it ain't going to be impressive running the games he is talking about.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2008 1:34:11 PM

I suggest you oc your cpu and ram. Get a cheap 9600gso and oc that as well.
My spare computer has a amd x2 3800 oc @2.9ghz 2gigs of ram 9600gso oc and it runs farcry 2 at high at 1024x768. avg 30-40fps. Runs ut3 max setting 50fps & assassins creed.
Not to bad for a cheap rig. =]
a c 177 U Graphics card
December 7, 2008 4:13:24 PM

OP; Odd build, fairly up to date MB with an old style Pentium D and 533 MHz memory and a 15" monitor?
What country are you in?
I`d suggest a ATI HD4670 graphics card as a good match for your needs, it`s more powerful than the 1900 and needs less power.
December 7, 2008 7:23:47 PM

a 4850 would be an overkill... 9600 or a 4670 would probably the best way to go with cash in mind...... new monitor also?
December 7, 2008 7:35:45 PM

If 1024x768 is all you really want a 4670 or 9600gso (aka 8800gs) is really the perfect card. I would recomend the 4670 because it would allow you to turn on some AA and at 1024x768 its nice to have. Also its better in the powerconsumption area.
The cpu is going to struggle sometimes but it is capable of doing what you asked.
December 8, 2008 1:39:18 PM

hold on a sec. guys, my current mobo supports -

1. PCI Express 1.0
2. 1066 FSB and 65nm supported CPU

because it is a g965 chipset mobo.


do you think my mobo will run a PCI Express 2.0 gpu if i install one in it ?


by the way, what is the best PCI Express 1.0 GPU for me ?(plz dont say about nvidia geforce 8800 series). besides, i have a 320GB SATA HDD. do i need to updrade it too ?


as far as i know, stranglehold was the first game that does not run in 1gb ram, it requires at least 2gb and legendary is the first game that recommends 4gb ram. so, do you think that my ram will be the minimum for next years gaming ? thanks.
April 17, 2009 12:50:17 AM

rion007 said:
hold on a sec. guys, my current mobo supports -

1. PCI Express 1.0
2. 1066 FSB and 65nm supported CPU

because it is a g965 chipset mobo.


do you think my mobo will run a PCI Express 2.0 gpu if i install one in it ?


by the way, what is the best PCI Express 1.0 GPU for me ?(plz dont say about nvidia geforce 8800 series). besides, i have a 320GB SATA HDD. do i need to updrade it too ?


as far as i know, stranglehold was the first game that does not run in 1gb ram, it requires at least 2gb and legendary is the first game that recommends 4gb ram. so, do you think that my ram will be the minimum for next years gaming ? thanks.


All the graphics cards are backwards compatible to pci-e 1.0

you do not need to upgrade your hardrive unless you keep a bunch of unwatched anime or extra game isos on it then you don't need more for now.

Your RAM is fine for now

you need focus on upgrading to dual core like right now cause single core is dead to the games you want to play.

I recently got a good deal on my soon to arrive 1 Gb 4670 and I am sure if you have $250 you can get a good card and a better board and processor which would be

perfect.

but what is your psu? That is also very important
April 17, 2009 12:53:40 AM

Umm thread is 4 months old. Why bring up a dead thread. You need to look at dates of threads before reposting.
April 17, 2009 12:57:18 AM

rags_20 said:
Get a
P5Q-Pro(In case you want to add another 4670)
Q6600
4 GB DDR2 800
500 GB HDD
HD 4670
Vista HP 64-bit
19" LCD
[assuming you are on a budget]

Otherwise,
Core i7 920
P6T
1 TB HDD
6 GB DDR3 1333
HD 4870
Vista HP 64-bit
24" LCD


This sounds kind of like my dream computer except mine is supposed to have 8 Gb DDR 3 RAM
April 17, 2009 12:20:28 PM

OK I have to be honest with you. I Played games on a Intel Pentium Dual Core e2200 2.2 GHz , 3 GB of ram and a 8400 GS. It played Far-Cry 2 on medium settings . Basically it depends how fast your graphics card can process the information. I've known DDR2 cards that have beaten DDR3 cards. If your card has 16 pipes a card that has 8 pipes can beat it. I would reccomend a Nvidia 9600 GT thats all I would upgrade at the moment and I will wait for Intel's new chipset to come out. Only then I would but a new CPU.
!