Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked or Radeon HD 4870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

Which is better OVERALL, the GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked or Radeon HD 4870?

Total: 18 votes (6 blank votes)

  • GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked
  • 75 %
  • Radeon HD 4870
  • 25 %
December 7, 2008 2:14:24 PM

In your guy's opinion, which one is better? I plan on getting an Intel CPU fyi.


I plan on mainly playing crysis on very high and want 30 or better FPS.



Also, I will be using Vista 64 bit.
December 7, 2008 2:25:09 PM

Nevermind42592 said:
In your guy's opinion, which one is better? I plan on getting an Intel CPU fyi.


I plan on mainly playing crysis on very high and want 30 or better FPS.



Also, I will be using Vista 64 bit.


Depends on the resolution, as thing are right now the best card to play at any resolution between those two take the GTX260 216, Ati will release a new driver that should bring performance up a notch but right now the 260GTX 216 its king in its price range
a c 1385 U Graphics card
December 7, 2008 2:25:39 PM

Win some loose some. If you have a SLI capable MB 260 if crossfire 4870
Related resources
December 7, 2008 5:18:33 PM

well i'm in between the regular 260 and the hd 4870. i'm planning on building an AMD system, and i've heard that AMD and ATI work better together than AMD and Nvidia. is this true?
December 7, 2008 5:46:32 PM

WTF the forums are acting weird lately... dont now how i reposted in this topic :sarcastic: 
December 7, 2008 6:05:06 PM

I voted for the 260 overclocked, but its a conditional vote. Both the 4870 and the 260 Superclocked are good cards. I switched from a 4870 to a 260 Superclocked a few days ago, so I give a balanced perspective. When it comes to games, I have found no real difference so far. The major reason I made the change is for F@H, and the 260 Superclocked produces about triple the points that the 4870 does. Maybe new drivers from ATI will help, maybe they won't. I don't know of anyone who knows for sure yet.

Be aware that the 260 is a monster card, over an inch longer than a 4870. I had to move a hard drive and the 260 was still almost too long to fit into my Antec 900. As it is, is squeezes some wiring mighty tight. It also would not fit in the lower PCIe slot at all. Depending on your case and motherboard, you may not be able to run SLI with the 260, and if your case is at all small, it may not fit at all. It might be a good idea to take the measurements of the card and make a cardboard mockup to guarantee that you have space before ordering one.

Yes, with some of the recent changes in drivers, some AMD boards run better with an ATI card. This makes sense, as AMD can tune its card and motherboard to run together very well, while a Nvidia card is made to fit any mobo out there, without specific tuning. But this does not apply to all AMD motherboards, only the newest ones.

Overall, I'm happy with buying the 260 Overclocked, but I bought it for the specific purpose of running F@H. Otherwise, the 4870 did just fine for gaming and was cheaper to buy.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 7, 2008 6:44:28 PM

rolli59 said:
Win some loose some. If you have a SLI capable MB 260 if crossfire 4870


+1. Performance with a single card is too close to matter, so decide based on the MB.
December 7, 2008 6:48:58 PM

Thanks for all the input! I think ill go with gtx 260 core 216 superclocked. Space is not an issue, i have the coolermaster haf 932, its like 22 inches deep and 9 inches wide lol.
December 7, 2008 9:25:44 PM

sailer said:
I voted for the 260 overclocked, but its a conditional vote. Both the 4870 and the 260 Superclocked are good cards. I switched from a 4870 to a 260 Superclocked a few days ago, so I give a balanced perspective. When it comes to games, I have found no real difference so far. The major reason I made the change is for F@H, and the 260 Superclocked produces about triple the points that the 4870 does. Maybe new drivers from ATI will help, maybe they won't. I don't know of anyone who knows for sure yet.

Be aware that the 260 is a monster card, over an inch longer than a 4870. I had to move a hard drive and the 260 was still almost too long to fit into my Antec 900. As it is, is squeezes some wiring mighty tight. It also would not fit in the lower PCIe slot at all. Depending on your case and motherboard, you may not be able to run SLI with the 260, and if your case is at all small, it may not fit at all. It might be a good idea to take the measurements of the card and make a cardboard mockup to guarantee that you have space before ordering one.

Yes, with some of the recent changes in drivers, some AMD boards run better with an ATI card. This makes sense, as AMD can tune its card and motherboard to run together very well, while a Nvidia card is made to fit any mobo out there, without specific tuning. But this does not apply to all AMD motherboards, only the newest ones.

Overall, I'm happy with buying the 260 Overclocked, but I bought it for the specific purpose of running F@H. Otherwise, the 4870 did just fine for gaming and was cheaper to buy.



Hey man so u have the Antec P900? I have it with a 7800GTX in it right noa and the space is tight. I am thinking of a GTX260 or 4870, so will both fit if I pick either? I have wires run around the bottom of the card between it and the drives, but its REALLY tight. I want to make sure I dont waste my money.
!