Phenom II + Vista x64 weird behaviour

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Hi there.
I've been upgrading my CPU to Phenom II 940 few weeks ago, now I've noticed a weird problem with my vista. When I run a single threaded apps like super PI on my taskmanager it shows that it loads all 4 cores to abot 25% instead of loading one core to max. This is not the issue unless I want to use Cool&Quite. While C&Q is enabled, CPU is downclocked to 1800 Mhz and it is supposed to clock back to 3 Ghz as soon as it been loaded, but... guess what? while running super pi it loads all cores a bit and cpu stays at 1800 Mhz or sometimes it goes to 2300 Mhz. So I have to keep C&Q disabled :(
Today I've noticed a huge slowdown while my antivir software (MS onecare) scans my PC (C&Q=disabled). When I click somewhere it takes couple of secs to react(extremely laggy) Taskmanager show that all 4 cores are being loaded to 20-25%. Then I manualy set the affinity for the OneCare process to use only one core and everything goes smooth. ...WTF!? What is the point of quadcore when a single app renders my system so laggy?

I know, it's not a big deal, but it freaks me off;
Thats why I've installed Windows 7 Beta and ...boom. Every ****** thing is smooth as it should: C&Q enabled - runing super Pi clocks my CPU back to 3 Ghz; scanign my system do NOT slows it down. AND single theads seem to utilize again 4 cores a bit but did NOT cause performance issues; even small CPU load clocks back the cpu and everything runs fine;

Is there a know issues with vista x64 or it is just me? I'me pretty sure this is not CPU issue when it runs fine on Win 7. (I don't have XP to test with)
I'll apreciate if someone knows hot to force vista to run single threaded processes on one core instead of trying to utilize all cores. Or I have to force the processes manually?

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have not noticed any of the issues you have noticed. Mine is at 3.6Ghz and 1.35 volts stable 24/7. C&Q runs smoothly and my cores all come back up to speed when there is a big enough load to bring them up to speed. Works great, I am using Vista 64 also. I have thought about trying Windows 7, how do you like it?

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
hmm,
I presume that the problem may be with my vista :( Might something went wrong. I'll try to reinstall it and give try then;

thanks for the response