VidusDvD

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. My CPU fan always goes to full blast when it loads Windows. It runs fine in BIOS. I've even changed the BIOS settings to "Silence" mode. What could the problem be? What can I try to fix this?

Coolermaster 212 Plus
Asus P6X58D Premium
Intel i7 920
Windows 7 Prof

SpeedFan Ave. Temp: 32 C
SpeedFan Ave Speed: 1800 rpm

Thanks.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hmm. What is the settings in bootup? Have you looked into your bios settings?

You could have it as default 100%. Check your bios, learn, read the book.

Of course there is no mention of what heatsink you have out of the one 1 billion different ones or the 10,000 different fan choices. Pay attention to if you have a stock fan pre connected to the mobo or an aftermarket fan.

And wow, be nice to know if it's a DELL, premade stuff or a custom bought computer.

A simple question you ask with 17 billion answers.

Try and fill the blanks next time.

Lokks like vid has a lot to learn in forum asking and PC issues.

1) Experiment with BIOS speed control settings for your CPU fan

2) Consider getting a quality HSF for your CPU (large heatsink and 120mm fan). Yeah, a good one is $40 or more but the noise will be much lower than your stock fan.

3) Find and run Orthos after letting your system Idle for at least 10 minutes after booting. If the fan increases you know the fan speed control is working properly. Likely the only issue is it's too loud which brings you back to #2.

Your fan is always going to be much higher with a higher temperature.

My son's box does the same thing cause he didn't spring for a PWM fan on his aftermarket Heat Sink.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-16.html

With our recommendations out of the way, it’s worth noting that while several coolers included manual fan speed controllers, only three supported pulse-width modulation (PWM) fan speed control. Of those, Scythe’s Mugen-2 Rev. B was the only one to make its way into our recommendations based on performance alone. We see many of our readers express frustration over their motherboards' “inability” to control fan speed automatically, but many of those boards rely on PWM control exclusively. While some motherboards also provide for fan-speed control via automatic voltage changes, PWM fans work with either type of speed control. Automatic speed control is a far more valuable feature to us than any included potentiometer, because we prefer our systems to be nearly silent under low load. Thus, while we’ve ignored the feature in our performance analysis, this editor has taken the initiative to replace the fan of his own MUX-120 test cooler with a PWM-based unit.