First time build...Puhleeeease help me.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well, I ordered my new build last Thursday night. It was all in by Tuesday afternoon without a scratch on anything. I put everything together according to the manuals and it all looked good to me. I plugged her up and tried to turn it on. All the LED's and Fans turned on for literally a split second, then cut back off. I already checked all of my power supply cords and I checked the power button pins on the MoBo.

My motherboard's green light is on, which is (I'm guessing) indicating that it's receiving power.
My guess is that something is shorting out?

Here's my build...

Case
APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo
ASUS P5K SE EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU
SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

PSU
hec ACE-580UB 580W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200

RAM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

DVD Drive
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner Black SATA Model AD-7200S-0B

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Like to help.. but I couldn't be bothered to open every link just to check your specs. :(
Have not checked your specs.. this is a shot in the dark - are there any beeping noises?
Have you tried resetting the bios?
Only thing I've looked at is your psu.... thats not good build

The CPU link leads to the PSU.

I see that you are buying a crossfire board but your PSU is questionable quality and not suitable for any crossfire action.

The cooling on that case is quite bad. 80mm fans are noisy, and the front fan will be smothered by the door besides. If you like flashy cases look at NZXT.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well I already bought it, so It's a bit too late to look at cases.... The PSU's reviews were all pretty good...It was apparently good quality...

All I need to know is why it wont all boot up. I cant even get into BIOS to reset it..

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Take it all out of the case and do your set up on a clean non conductive surface ,the mobo box would do just fine as you can hang the video card's tang over the edge to prevent it being forced out of it's slot,and if you have one ,,you only need to get it to boot to a dos floppy,also gives you a chance to set up your bios....:)..

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I say PSU
NEVER EVER use newegg reviews on a psu. Cause to most there if it turns on it gets 5 starts....point blank and thats not the correct way to grade a PSU. Ive never seen Hec get a review and its price/quality looks questionable

Oh LOL I thought this was a rate my build post, sorry... and the board is a P35, not x38 as I thought.

As I said, the HEC is not a top end PSU, but it's not complete junk. We would have steered you to something else, but it may do.

General new build trouble shooting tips, in order of commonness:
1. Did you connect both the 24-pin power and the 4/8-pin power to the board? The 4/8-pin is located near the CPU.
2. Did you install only those motherboard standoffs that align correctly with the screw holes in your board? Incorrectly placed standoffs will result in a short.
3. Did you first try to boot with just one stick of RAM? If that failed did you try the other stick? If you are new to DDR RAM, you might not have it fully seated.
4. Is there a case speaker connected to the speaker header, normally located near the case power switch header? If this is possible it might produce beep codes.
5. Is the power connected to the video card?

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Dokk, just wondering, what good is that going to do?

And I would rather not send back my PSU just on a hunch...I want to find out whats wrong, but I don't see what I did...

Anyone else know why it would be shorting out like this?

If not, let me know what kind of power supply I should trade this one in for...

EDIT:

Reply to Proximon:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No. I'll try that ASAP.
4. No.
5. No.

To clarify, we don't have any professional reviews of that HEC unit. Some HEC PSUs have been OK in the past. It's not likely that it would be considered a good PSU. It is probably NOT one of the worst, but might be just a step up from bad.

Not saying the PSU is your problem. It's just that there is no good way to test the quality of power a PSU is producing on your own. So, when it comes to troubleshooting, it makes your job (and ours) much harder as a faulty PSU can produce a wide range of symptoms, many of which look like other problems.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Ah....Well, I just tried to boot up with 1 stick of RAM. I got the same results.

Maybe I should get a refund for the PSU while I still can?
:/

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Question for learning purposes

Is this one of those safety issues (meaning the component shuts down to product itself) such as the CPU cooler fan not properly connected ??

The most likely culprits are PSU and motherboard at this point.

If the MB has an old BIOS revision, it might not be detecting your newer CPU correctly. the only way to resolve that would be to put in an older CPU and flash the BIOS. I normally recommend P43 boards to avoid that problem.

Yeah getting a better PSU can't hurt.

Antec EA500W would be a good choice.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
StevieD: I'm thinking it might be. I'm getting power from the supply to the mobo because a green LED on the MoBo turns on when I turn on the PSU. Its just once I press the power button on the case, everything turns on for like a fourth of a second..

Proximon: Okay..I guess I'll try to send it in ASAP.
I'm totally absolutely new to this. What do I need to do to get my refund?
Just mail it back to the sending address?

These kind of brief power ups can be something like that. Generally we find them to be RAM/PSU/MB related. It's usually more like a complete POST failure... The BIOS tries to get going and never makes it anywhere because it has no resources to execute on... it can be a bent CPU pin or damaged CPU as well, although the LGA 775 design has no long pins to bend. A foreign particle under the CPU would cause it.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
take out your vga and ram and try powering it up... oh wait... you need those components :p lol..... uhh... hmmm.. you can't return it to them and pay a bit more for the other?

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah I can. I'll try calling HEC tomorrow and getting a refund. I'll probably stick with that Antec 500W.

I'm off for tonight. If anyone has any other smart ideas, let me know. I'll be back on tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the help guys. This is literally the best tech forum I've ever seen.

:D

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
You wouldn't have another PSU lying around would you? It doesn't have to be very powerful, all you need to do is power your motherboad without the graphics card using onbard video. If your motherboard works its the PSU otherwise its the motherboard.
From experience a third of the time its the PSU.

My guess is that the BIOS does not support the CPU. That board does not support the E7200 until BIOS revision 0304. A lot of newer Intel boards will not post at all with an unsupported CPU. The majority of issues like this that I've seen are not DOA hardware. I don't suppose you have access to an older 65nm CPU to install and see if the board posts do you? My guess is that if you were able to upgrade the motherboard BIOS it would work fine. HEC is not the best brand, but should be fine.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I just tried using my old Antec Powerwatts 2.0 550W PSU and I still got the same results. I think Shortstuff is right though. I really cant think of anything else that would work.

I'm not sure how I can upgrade the BIOS though. I cant even boot up the computer, so I dont know how that would work...

I don't know if I need to get a refund for my CPU so I can just get one that's compatible, or if there's a way to upgrade it otherwise...If I need a new CPU, I have to put in my RMA very soon. I ordered everything last Thursday, so I think that leaves me 1 day to request the RMA...Right?

Ugh. I really feel like I'm in a pickle right now. Haha.

iTzVeLoCiTy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Wow. I really feel stupid. Either the screws were too tight or I forgot the spacers for the LED and Power Switch hookups.. I just fixed both of those and its running now.

Haha. Sorry to cause so much trouble. I might be back later though :p