Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATI Overdrive Auto-Tune

Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2010 7:45:35 AM

I'm wondering if Forum Veterans can post their 2 cents on ATI Overdrive and its Auto-Tune feature. I have a 5770 with my new i5-750 rig. The i5-750 is not overclocked and I'm going to leave it at stock (w/turbo) for the time being.

However, I am curious to see what kind of impact a minor-to-medium overclock to the 5770 GPU would bring.

Which brings me to ATI Overdrive's Auto-Tune. Do most THers feel confident that Auto-Tune can bring about a stable overclock? Or is an alternative like ATI Tool better? Or is it better to just slightly tweak the ghz up from 850 to 880 and be happy with whatever benefit it produces?

I did try the Auto-Tune feature but after I hit the "run" button it flashes to a red-orange-yellow prism-like full-screen filled with Red-Orange-Yellow squares/rectangles --- and basically just hangs there.

Well, any thoughts or comments from Forum experts and veterans would be greatly appreciated.

-Veo.

PS - My 5770 card has a basic stock cooler (the oval shape type). And I am not planning on adding any cooling at this time.
March 14, 2010 1:55:31 PM

What would a good overclock mean to you in framerates? Lots of overclocking may translate into a 10% gain in framerates. So if you get 30 fps in Crysis now, you may see 32-33 with a large overclock. Is that worth it for the work and noise (from the fan due to the heat)?

Generally the Overdrive feature is pretty tame - slide everything to its limit and see if it works.

Once you bump up against those limits - and need more - then yu can start to play with those tools. But more clock and more voltage means more heat and you will have to deal with it at some point.
m
l
March 14, 2010 11:48:44 PM

Thanks vvh.

Yeah, if a large GPU (in this case the 5770) overclock only results in a 10% (or less) gain --- then I am going to pass on GPU overclocking for now. And also because I'm not interested in adding any GPU cooling at this time (the most I have available is an extra case fan to blow out heated air from the case side).

However, I did slightly increase the mhz (GPU clock) from 850 to 880. I'm not sure I'm getting any performance boost from it, but the strange result is that the GPU temp seems to avg a bit lower (moving from the high 40Cs to the low 40Cs at idle/inet browsing). I've only been at this new setting for a few hours so let's see if this temp change remains.

But one of the reasons I thought about overclocking the GPU was that in the only truly graphics-intensive program I use (a MMO game that came out a few months back) --- it seemed as though the GPU was being taxed (resulting in +55C heat --- which i understand isn't that much really) while the CPU (core i5-750 stock) was barely breaking a sweat. The GPU seems to be 5C (or more) cooler at the 880mhz setting.

Perhaps this means that certain tweaks to the GPU settings may result in more stability and/or lower temp.

Once again I have no idea if my above reasoning makes sense; but I guess it is worth a try to (slowly) tweak the GPU settings for those who feel they are not getting the most out of their GPU card stock setup.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 14, 2010 11:51:13 PM

Most video cards have a "butter zone" in which they like to operate at the best and/or coolest. tweaking with the settings to find that zone will get the best results usually. As far as Overdrive it does an ok job for a free package with the drivers.
March 24, 2010 6:21:29 PM

It appears as though you need an MSI card to use MSI afterburner. Since your looking at a Radeon card ATI Tool and ATI Tray Tools work well. Rivatuner might also work for what you need.
m
l
March 24, 2010 8:19:19 PM

Best answer selected by veo.
m
l
!