DDR2 RAM running in single channel mode. HELP!??

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hi guys. I have two 1GB sticks of DDR2 memory in my Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 MoBo. It DOES support DDR2 memory, but CPU-Z reports that they're only running in single channel mode. How can I get them to run in dual channel?

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

The MoBo only has two RAM slots, each supporting DDR2 and up to a 2GB DIMM each.

Are you running a Phenom processor by chance?
If so, they run memory in single channel mode by default if you are only running 2 sticks of memory.
The reason is because the Phenoms have 2 memory controllers on the Processor.
Each controller runs a bank, or in this case since you only have 2 sticks of memory, each stick. It is supposed to increase performance as each controller can work independently of the other, reducing latency reads and writes to memory.
If you force them into dual channel mode, (which some boards will, and some will not allow you to do) each memory controller then must read from the same banks of memory, so 1 controller must wait on the other to finish, effectively cancelling the advantage of having the 2 controllers.
I read somewhere that there is actually a small speed increase by not running in dual channel mode, if you only have 2 sticks of memory. It is small, like 4~8%, but it is slightly faster doing this with the Phenoms than forcing them to run in dual channel.

Fact is stranger than fiction........

FlorinR

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Sorry for posting in other people's thread, but am i getting this right?: for a Phenom (1 or 2) CPU, you must insert 4 sticks for enabling dual channel mode?

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

Nope. It's not a Phenom. It's an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (Hoping to upgrade soon).

Selkaz

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Well I know that you can only use 1066MHZ DDR2 if you have an AM2+ processor. There's my two cents. :wahoo:

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

?? That's not true. Actually, the RAM is now running in dual channel mode. I upgraded my processor to a Phenom II X3 720 and now the RAM is running in dual channel for some weird reason. But it's also running at 667Mhz, and the Phenom II is running in an AM2+ mobo. Thanks for the help though!