GA-EX-58 UD4P Onboard Lan issue

G

Hello, I recently installed this system below but having shutdown issues (maybe caused by onboard LAN):
-GA-EX58-UD4P (v1.0) Firmware F5
-i7 920
-Noctua cooler
-WD 150GB Velociraptor HDD
-Cosair Dominator 1600 3GB DDR3 8-8-8-24
-GTX 295 GFX card
-Vista Ultimate 32bit with SP1
All non-overclocked hardware.

Everything seems to be working fine. I have updated all the M/B drivers including the onboard LAN and sound card.

I can play games, surf the web, upload and download stuff through the internet, copy files from USB to HDD and vice versa, however when connecting to my other computers on my network, as soon as I do anything like play a file, copy or even look into the folders, the system shutdowns instantly, no warning. I've even turned off the auto shutdown feature in Vista so I can get a message or blue screen, but nothing. Event log also had nothing to report apart from "an unexpected error caused your system to shutdown"

I've even done a RAM test using windows diagnostic tool (I've tried using one ram stick at a time, but still the same shutdown issue.

I've had my old system, Q6600 connected up to the same ethernet cable and router and have no problems, so I know it's not a network issue.

I've updated my bios even to F6, but the problems still happens

Please help me find some answers. If I'm missing someting please advise.

Regards,

Kevin

Do you surf the net through the same Ethernet connection that's used to access you LAN? If so, then the problem isn't with the network itself.

How are users authenticated (AD or local accounts), is your firewall active and do you have third party security software that could force a system shutdown? Have you tried booting from a BartPE CD to see if the issue occurs?

G

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Net is through the same ethernet connection so I know what isn't the problem. I'm on a local account and my firewall is active. Both windows firewall and my router doesn't have shutdown option. I have booted from a BartPE CD and is also has the same problem with the shutdown.

The one thing I haven't tried is putting in another 10/100 pci ethernet card and disabling my onboard to see if I get a shutdown issue. If so, then the problem will be related to the onboard lan, or maybe my settings on Vista of the the Realtek RTL8168D/8111D (v 6.213.1110.2008) is incorect. The only thing I've done is taken off the option to disable the power-saving mode which turns off the device. All options in the device manager-advanced settings of the device I have had the power-saving feature disabled, apart from Green Ethernet. (no idea what that is).

I try another card and confirm my theory before getting back to you.

G

Re: GA-EX58-UP4P Onboard LAN with Network issue

Hi All users of X58 UD4P,

I finally resolved this issue with my onboard LAN. I had the wrong version of the Realtek driver installed. (Could have been corrupted as well).

I had first installed drivers which came with the Gigabyte motherboard, which was a disaster. Failing that, I downloaded version 6.215.1226.2008 from the Realtek website, which also didn't work. The latest version, 6.218.317.2009, has resolved my reboot issue when connecting to my other PCs on the network.

Note: Before thinking about RMA for this motherboard, always try all the latest drivers to be sure. Of course the problem occurred during the time when the lastest drivers hadn't fixed my problem, which was back in Feb09.

Regards,

Workhorse

MadMaxblue

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I have the same issue. Question: does your computer make a weird sound like a modem when you are downloading? Right now i disabled the onboard lan and am running on a pci ethernet card. i just put it in and i am testing it. hope it runs good. i will try your dirver version and see if i resolve things. It already messed up one of the bios but it recovered and destroyed my raid array. thanks for post sollution :)

It didn't work. With the drivers proposed by you the shutdowns ocur less frequently, but still ocur. I will try working with the pci ethernet card and the onboard lan disabled and see what happens. I'll get back 2 you.

MadMaxblue

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I read the article but i dont understand what does it have with my problem.
PS: My computer just shutdown. It is the first time since running on the pci ethernet card. I'm really starting to ger anoyed. I think i'm gonna take the motherboard to the waranty and let them figure out what the problem is. Thx 4 help. If yo feal like explaining the article to me i would be very thankfull

MadMaxblue

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The problem is from your LAN and my only solution was to send the board back, and i received a new one. Just got it today. Seems fine. It had the F5 bios preinstalled. Good luck with yours.

kugenanki

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The latest version, 6.218.317.2009 where did you downoad this? can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE mr.anonymous send this updated driver to my email @ kugenanki@yahoo.com, i always get the BSOD problem with ndi.sys and i need to update my driver but cant find anywhere to download it, thank you so much in advance... :D

saleh1364

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hi,
I want to buy PC like your PC!! what do you use Power Supply? and can you send your Email to me for more question?
With best regards
Saleh