game lockups and freezes

viciouse

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
hi, this is my first post but i have been a reader for years.

i recently got an asus GTX 280 and i get game lockups and freezing after about 5-30 min of game play.

my rig is:
Q9550 factory speed.
asus P5E3 premium
asus GTX 280
0cz platinum 1600 2GB normally at 1333
WD VR 300GB
Thermaltake tough power 1200 watt.
WIN xp 32 SP2

before the GTX 280 i had a powercolor 4870x2 and had no luck getting it to run any 3d app, in far cry 2 it would lockup at the opening screen, and 3dmark06 wouldn't run.
i read some forums and there were a few people with a set up like mine and no one had answers as to why they got the same thing.
so i sent the card back to store for testing and they cleared it as normal.

after selling it and getting a GTX 280 i can now run 3Dmark06 without problems and play games for up to 30min before a lockup or freeze.
i am running the latest bios have tried all the driver using driver cleaner each time, ran memtest, stress tested cpu, used a different psu, changed all settings in game, updated all other drivers from the chip manufactures site not the sub vendor and have tried most everything i can think of in the bios. also the card never gets above 70'c (i turn the fan up with riva tuner)

can anyone offer any suggestions i am starting to think it is the memory, but i don't have any other DDR3 to try.
(and by in games i mean far cry 2, crysis, fallout 3 and CoD4)

viciouse

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
yes, i dual screen so i can watch all temps as i play.
cpu never gets hotter than 37 (under a thermalright 90i with 12cm fan)
GPU never above 68. gpu ram around 45-50
NB around 40

does system ram ever get hot (nub question) i've never seen any programs that monitor it and i have never had an erg to touch it??

ty all suggestions are very helpful.

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
I had problems with my 8800 GT's when installing the newest 180.48 drivers. You could try rolling back your drivers to the most previous 178.24(i believe) and see if that helps. Nvidia claims it's an OS issue with microsoft and that the driver works perfectly but microsoft's OS doesn't. Lots of finger pointing, big surprise.

With 180.48 I couldn't get past 20-30 mins of playing L4D or WAR, haven't had any problems hard locking since I rolled back the drivers.