Motherboard and CPU upgrade for an HP Pavilion 8655C PC.

CurtF09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I want to upgrade an HP Pavilion 8655C PC (Pentium III, 533 MHz, 256 MB RAM Max.) which has an Intel 810E Chipset (is that another name for the Motherboard?). At this point I should warn everyone that I am somewhat new to working on computers, and this is for my tinkering/personal enlightenment purpose.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a motherboard that would fit in the above computer's case that would accomodate at least a 1.0 or 1.4 GHz Pentium III processor and at least 512 MB of RAM?

Here are some specifications from the PC as it is currently that would probably help:

1. Model #: D9949A

2. Base Processor & Speed: Intel Pentium (R) III 533 Mhz Processor

3. Memory: 256 MB (2 x 128 MB DIMM); Sockets: Two 168-pin DIMMs; Type Supported: SDRAM, 100 MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification, revision 1.0 compliant

4. Cache: Level 1 (Primary) - 32 KB (on processor)
Level 2 256 KB (on processor)

5. Hard Drive: 30 GB (3.5 inch form factor)

I hope the above information is helpful. If there is anyone out there who can possibly help me with this little project I would really appreciate your assistance.

Oh, I believe that this motherboard is a Socket 370 one....not 100% sure though.

Holy cow and mother of what are you thinking?!?!?!
There are a couple of things to think about before you start your tinkering career.

HP's, especially the era you are working with can be made entirely of propriortory parts, meaning swaping a motherboard can be a nightmare, if you can even do it.
Second....that system is over 10 years old. I have no idea where you would find parts for it, or the parts you want to upgrade to, as they haven't made these things in....well......over 10 years.

If you want to tinker, turn this thing into a recycling center and find something a little newer, that you can actually buy/find parts for today.