Help, I need to know before tomorrow!

psychicassassin

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
So, what should I upgrade? I mostly want to watch a full HD in my Samsung T260 26" LCD monitor since I'm a big fan of ESPN HD sports.

The system information shows in the benchmark:

CPU: P4 3.00GHz, Hyper-threading technoloy enabled
Memory: 1015MB, memory available for applications 420MB (this one always changing)
Graphic card: Intel 82915G/GV90GL Express Chipset Family 128MB

Tomorrow is the last day for me to return the Pinnacle PCTV Pro Stick HDTV tuner.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Well that CPU is to slow to encode/decode 1080p you will get lots of... "hiccups" for a lack of a better word. However If its a socket 775 then another CPU would be better also thats not much ram for those HUGE video files.

psychicassassin

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Oh wait a minute, you said socket775? I just figured my mb has one. I guess I should upgrade to the fastest processor existed for this motherboard with socket 775.

How much RAM should I upgrade to? (minimum wise)

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Well, RAM is very cheap now so I would go 4 GB. It will be enough for both XP and Vista for what you are doing.

I am guessing your motherboard probably will not support 4 GB, or the newer processors very well even though they are LGA775. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard that will allow you use a newer processor and use more RAM. Since you don't seem that interested in gaming look for a board that has Intel x4500HD (Something like that) integrated graphics. You could probably get a good combo deal for motherboard and processor off newegg.com

Well I used to run the pinnacle stick under a pentium D 820, since it didn't really tax both cores I would assume that it would be fine for watching HD w/ a pentium 4 at 3.0ghz. However it can only pull HD from over the air sources. To the best of my knowledge ESPN is not broadcast over the air.

If you plug a cable/sat box to the unit it will downgrade to standard def. Have you tried it out? as long as your not charged a restocking fee I would at least give it a try.

psychicassassin

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I have tried the cable, it connects great. However, I want to use it in a room far away from the cable box. Maybe just buy an extra large cable would save money than going complicated to get wireless.

Your comment gives me the new idea.