Sign in with
Your question

Hyper 212 plus vs hyper tx3.Which to choose?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2010 4:25:34 PM

:hello:  ,
I have seen charts and reviews about the two and they seem the two best I can get for what I need.I haven't ever overclocked but I hope to overclock my i5 750 to 3,4-3,5 for a small boost later on.So,first I must say I don't want to remove the motherboard because I don't trust myself to handle it and I haven't done it again.So do you think the difference in tempss between the temps of the two is enough for me to remove the motherboard or should I just get a hyper tx3 and avoid the trouble.Even without overclocking I need a new heatsink since the stock cooler keeps my cpu idling at 40c and summer in my country can get really hot.So which should I get based on my needs?
Thanks
March 14, 2010 10:06:54 PM

BeCoolBro said:
:hello:  ,
I have seen charts and reviews about the two and they seem the two best I can get for what I need.I haven't ever overclocked but I hope to overclock my i5 750 to 3,4-3,5 for a small boost later on.So,first I must say I don't want to remove the motherboard because I don't trust myself to handle it and I haven't done it again.So do you think the difference in tempss between the temps of the two is enough for me to remove the motherboard or should I just get a hyper tx3 and avoid the trouble.Even without overclocking I need a new heatsink since the stock cooler keeps my cpu idling at 40c and summer in my country can get really hot.So which should I get based on my needs?
Thanks

I also have a Core i5-750 on its way now. The only reason I went with the Hyper TX3 was because the Hyper 212 Plus would not fit my case (micro ATX case and micro ATX motherboard). It is also a new build, so the motherboard is not in yet, which also would have made the Hyper 212 Plus easier to choose. The Hyper 212 Plus will cool your CPU better than the TX3, but from what I have read I think the TX3 is going to be good for stock settings and sufficient for minor overclocking, for sure better than the stock cooler, and I just picked up the TX3 for $16.99 on Newegg yesterday, so you really can't beat the price.
March 14, 2010 10:27:00 PM

The hyper tx3 is a smaller version of the 212+. It has a 92mm fan opposed to a 120mm. Both are great for the money, so it depends on whether the 212+ will fit in your case as it is the better cooler or if you want to shell out the extra money for it.
Related resources
March 15, 2010 3:36:16 AM

Get the 212+..It fits in most cases..unless you have a small form factor case. It is half the price of the leading heatsinks for only 2-3C difference. Had my brother's i5 750 up to 4.4ghz on the 212+. Running 4ghz 24/7 with good temps.
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2010 12:42:56 PM

With the 212+, you WILL have to remove the motherboard because you have to replace the retention plate that is underneath your motherboard and replace it with the one that comes with the heat sink.

It's definitely worth the hassle. For me, I don't OC, but my case is NOT the best in cooling efficiency (it's an ATX from around 2001 I believe). With the stock heat sink that came with my Phenom II X3 720 BE, I was running around 48-50C idle and I'd get close to 65C full load. With Prime95, it would push the temps past 70C and case the system to shut down to protect the CPU.

After installing the Hyper 212+, I now idle around 40C and with Prime95, I never go above 53C.

Cooling wise, I believe they are about the same (check out the reviews at Frosty Tech -> http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241... and compare the 212+ with the TX3).

Both appear to get you the cooling you want. I guess it just matters on price. It looks like the TX3 is definitely cheaper and yet you still get comparable cooling.

I couldn't find the TX3 locally but I did find the Hyper 212+ so I went with that rather than waiting for the TX3 to come in via the postal service, especially since I was running at higher temps that didn't make me comfortable.
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 1:16:36 PM

isamuelson said:
With the 212+, you WILL have to remove the motherboard because you have to replace the retention plate that is underneath your motherboard and replace it with the one that comes with the heat sink.

It's definitely worth the hassle. For me, I don't OC, but my case is NOT the best in cooling efficiency (it's an ATX from around 2001 I believe). With the stock heat sink that came with my Phenom II X3 720 BE, I was running around 48-50C idle and I'd get close to 65C full load. With Prime95, it would push the temps past 70C and case the system to shut down to protect the CPU.

After installing the Hyper 212+, I now idle around 40C and with Prime95, I never go above 53C.

Cooling wise, I believe they are about the same (check out the reviews at Frosty Tech -> http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241... and compare the 212+ with the TX3).

Both appear to get you the cooling you want. I guess it just matters on price. It looks like the TX3 is definitely cheaper and yet you still get comparable cooling.

I couldn't find the TX3 locally but I did find the Hyper 212+ so I went with that rather than waiting for the TX3 to come in via the postal service, especially since I was running at higher temps that didn't make me comfortable.

Those are some pretty crazy temps for stock speeds. You musn't have much ventilation in that case, heh.
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2010 1:24:12 PM

JofaMang said:
Those are some pretty crazy temps for stock speeds. You musn't have much ventilation in that case, heh.

Yeah, I have an 80mm fan in the front and then another fan in the back to help with the air flow. This was a case I had that ran a Duron way back when. I've just never upgraded the case. I've added new motherboards, PSUs, etc, so it's not built with the best airflow capability. But, I'm a cheap loser.

[:isamuelson:7]

Eventually, I'll cave in and get a new case. I do know with HWMonitor, the core CPUs are registering around 35C idle, but the ambient temperature over all is around 40 I think, unless HWMonitor is doing something wrong (of course, that's when I don't have the 4th core unlocked). Still, I guess never going over 53C isn't too bad.
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 1:42:45 PM

Nope, the peak temps seem ok, just the huge idle value that sets off my alarm bells, heh.

I'm a cheap loser, too, hah. I paid 30 bucks for my CoolerMaster Elite 330, and with a few extra fans (one exhausting through custom cutout in the side panel), manage to keep my airflow fairly regular. (3x120mm 90cfm CM LED fans).

I am expecting to install my 212+ today. If it doesn't fit with the side of the case on, will be performing another cutout in the side panel, a la prostreet dragster style:

That reminds me, I need to recharge the batteries on my camera, in case some pictures are needed, hah.
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2010 1:57:18 PM

I also have 3 SATA hard drives and they run around 40C each. They're at the front of the case of course and my PSU is at the top. It also has a fan that pulls the air out of the case and pushes it out the back.

Other than that, I have a SATA DVD/CD Dual Layer RW, my HD8370 with fan and heatsink and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 tuner.

My memory also has heat sinks on it as well.
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 5:03:15 PM

I installed the 212+ a few minutes ago, and only lacked a few MM clearance, but am not comfortable with the side of the case touching the tips of the copper heatpipes. I am going to run it with the side off for a few days, plan on modifying the side of the case sometime this week. This also works because I used two of my 90cfm 120mm case fans for the HSF to run push/pull. Will replace them this week after I mod the side of the case again, heh. I used MX-2 this time.

Set at 3.825ghz/1.4v, currently idling at 27c, and a 10min P95 small FFTs run only pushed it to 48c. Me like. :D 
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2010 4:40:54 PM

After running CPUID, I'm seeing my CPU core temps are actually around 29C. I still max out full load at around 53 when using Prime95. I haven't seen it spike that high when playing games.
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2010 4:57:20 PM

I have a TX3 on my Phenom II X3 720 unlocked to a quad running at 3.2 GHz. and it works very well compared to the stock cooler - On stock cooling I was Idling at 44C and got to 68C under Prime95 at 3.0 Ghz. and now run at 35C idle and 56C under Prime95 @3.2Ghz. (Note : all temps are the CPU temp not individual cores since those stop functioning after unlocking the 4th core - but while running as an X3 the cores ran 8-10C cooler than the CPU sensor temp !!) so quite an improvement - (I got my TX3 for $4.99 from newegg when they had it on sale for $14.99 with free shipping and I had a $10 off next purchase code - so went with it ) - I used the Thermal paste that came with it or the temps would probably be a bit better.

IF choosing between the 2 for an I5 I'd go with the 212+ due to the high TDP and temps they seem to run but for a smaller TDP chip the TX3 is fine and since you will not be OCing it heavily, either will probably work fine for you.
!