Volture777

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hello everyone, let me start my saying that I'm not entirely computer savvy but I have a "decent" grasp of what is going on. Anyway, I was running an E8400 3.0 C2D (I don't overclock anything). I decided that I wanted to upgrade to a quad so I purchased the Q9550 2.8 C2Q.

After installing in the Q9550 (pretty sure I did everything right here, applied thermal paste and reattached the heat sink) I started the computer up. Everything was going fine until I hit the windows loading screen. As it started to load the computer shut off. I wasn't sure what caused that, so I made sure the power cord was plugged in firmly and restarted the computer. This time, the monitor never received a signal, none of the usb components (mouse/keyboard) received power (they both have lights on them so its pretty easy to tell if they are on or not) and the computer shut itself off after a few seconds.

So at this point I thought maybe the power supply is too weak. I am running a 620 watt with 3 HDs, 1x 8800GTX, 1x Q9550, 3 standard sized fans, and 2 USB devices. After looking around on google I found people using a nearly identical setup with no issues. Luckily, I had a 850 watt power supply sitting around that I was planning to use for another computer, so I pulled out the 620 watt psu and replaced it with the 850 watt psu.

After turning the computer back on, the same thing happened. Except instead of turning off after a few seconds, it stayed on seemingly doing nothing. I put the old CPU back in (the E8400) and nothing changed. I tried booting up without the ram in and no luck. I would try using onboard graphics, but I lack the proper cables (to see if the 8800 is broken). After looking around online, I am assuming that the motherboard must have been fried during the process (its 2-3 years old).

I am just not entirely sure if the motherboard is busted or if something else could be causing this. Like I said, I'm not entirely computer savvy, so I may have overlooked something extremely obvious.

Thanks in advanced for reading/helping! =)

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Without knowing the make and model of the motherboard it is difficult to diagnose motherboard specific problems but you can do the basics.... Check to see that all power plugs are in place.... does your board take an additional power plug? is your processor properly installed? Is the heat sink properly installed? Do you have the PCIe power cable installed on your graphics card? Did you clear the CMOS? These are all basic checks and should be done to assist in the diagnostics of the specific problem you have encountered. Also check to make sure that all power connections are properly installed.........

TRENDING THREADS