Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi im looking to get the Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme CPU Cooler and I read a review about it. Comparing it with 2 other CPU coolers.

And I read this paragraph

"Our test sample of the Ultra-120 eXtreme came with the latest retaining clip system design, and did not require any additional washers to increase compression onto the processor. We understand that older versions were plagued with a weak mounting strength, but I assure you that this version had more than enough tension to make it difficult to completely tighten down."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4

(bottom of the page.)

What does this mean? "latest retaining clip system design," and so on.
Does this mean there was an older version of this cooler of the actual structure of it, or just the extra parts to secure/mount it to the motherboard.

Would this older version give higher temperatures over the new version?

If possible please send links to pitcures or post pitcures to show me what part/s they are talking about.

I ask this because the store im getting this from im not sure if there stock is really old, and therefore would not have gotten any more in since they first ever got some instock.

Thanks.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
"The cooling performance between all models of the TRUE 120 is about the same."

Have there been phyicsally differernt models of the structure of the TRUE 120?

The copper one should cool better. Where are you getting that it is worse?

Now, I will agree with you that the solid copper one is entirely too heavy, but that's a separate issue.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Is it bad to have such a heavy cpu cooler mounted onto the motherboard? Must there be alot of strain and force on the holes when you screw down the cooler, and since you have the mobo up vertically you have 790g of weight being pulled down? Ive only used a push pin one so I wouldnt know if this is a problem

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

The maximum heat output should be higher but it comes more or less down to design of the heatsink. Adding all copper makes little difference.

With an identically designed heatsink, a pure copper one will cool better than a copper/aluminum one, simply due to the copper's higher thermal conductivity.