rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have a 500gb HD and 40 gb Hd (which i use as a portable one). Yesterday, when i connected it to my PC, chkdsk began to run on system startup. As it took more time than usual, i restarted my pc. Now, i cant open that drive(which had 14gb). i cant even check the properties cuz it shows 0 bytes free. Pls HELP!! Can i re-partition the whole drive so that i get this gone 14 gb? If yes, which are the good partition managers?

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Yep
I hit the restart button
i use win 7 32 bit
the HD has 3 drives in total and all is ntfs

sub mesa

Distinguished
Hitting the reset button during filesystem repair probably wasn't the smartest thing you did. But can you check the filesystem using chkdsk or Disc Management?

You may also have to use NTFS file recovery programs, to recover any information on that drive, and then reformatting it so it is a blank and usable drive again.

It could also be that the drive is damaged. You should download HDTune and check the Health tab for the HDD's SMART information. In this information there should be a line called "Current Pending Sector". The raw value of this property needs to be ZERO or your HDD is damaged and urgently needs repair before it can be normally used again.

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Will i be able to delete the three partitions and create just 1 so that i dont lose that 14 gb?
I've downloaded EASEUS Partition Manager....
I do not want to recover the files in that drive cuz i had already copied it to my 500 gb hd............
i use this drive as a semi-portable one..... (and i'm in desperate need for it to copy gta 4 n assassins creed 2)
Pls help?

sub mesa

Distinguished
So you don't want to recover anything, just use your drive again? In that case just partition it with the Windows utility and you should be fine. All data on the drive will be destroyed.

TRENDING THREADS