Sign in with
Your question

INTEL Helps Customers Counter Falling Performance (Astounding!!)

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2009 2:40:48 PM

Core i7 System Buyers Guide

Quote:
When the System Buyers Guide: $1000 to $2000 was published a few weeks ago it was obvious the last system guide in the series should be the High End Buyers Guides for systems above $2000. It was our full intention at that point to present both AMD and Intel systems for our High-End Buyers Guide, but an AnandTech meeting with all the editors quickly changed that idea. It was the consensus that as of today there is only one CPU at the top of the performance heap, and that CPU is the Intel Core i7.

With the introduction of the Phenom II, AMD now has a legitimate competitor to Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad systems. The recent price cuts by both Intel and AMD in that market segment just reinforced the fact that Phenom II competes very well with Intel Penryn. Perhaps with higher speeds Phenom II processors might make the High-End Buyers Guide in the future, but as of today the Intel Core i7 owns the high-end of the CPU market.

:o 

Thundy would be so proud of me!

/runs for the hills :) 
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2009 3:03:36 PM

And yet more Astonishing News:

Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd

Quote:
Microsoft founder turned philanthropist Bill Gates released a glass full of mosquitoes at an elite technology conference to make a point about the deadly disease malaria.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar onstage at the Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference — a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars.

"I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected."

Gates then waited a minute or so before assuring the audience the freed insects were malaria-free.

Yes! It's the cardboard PC!

Quote:
Green is the new black, or so it seems. So an enterprising designer’s inked plans to build a desktop PC that does away with the traditional metal and plastic exterior, in favour of… er… cardboard.

This would appear to be a perfect case for Thundy's "green AMD" machine :) 

Man robs convenience store with Klingon sword

Quote:
Revenge is a dish best served with Slurpee and microwave burrito

Colorado Springs police are on the lookout for a man who attempted to rob two 7-Eleven convenience stores early Wednesday with a Klingon bat'leth sword.

The first robbery was reported at about 2:00 AM after a man described as wearing a black mask, black jacket, and blue jeans entered the store brandishing the traditional Klingon crescent-shaped blade. After demanding money, the crook left with an undisclosed amount of cash and fled on foot, police said.

About a half hour later, police received another call from a 7-Eleven about 3 miles away, reporting an attempted robbery by a man matching the same description. This time, the clerk refused to pay, and the robber took flight - apparently with no regard for Klingon honor.

Thanks to Overclockers for these amusing links.
February 7, 2009 3:42:30 PM

you didn't rant enough, you didn't point out AMD as evil and you didn't post a marketing video link of no relevance to the original subject. cant overlook the little things fazers.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2009 3:44:57 PM

roofus said:
you didn't rant enough, you didn't point out AMD as evil and you didn't post a marketing video link of no relevance to the original subject. cant overlook the little things fazers.

Geez - you mean I'm an EPIC FAIL at Thunderpants posting??

I must resolve to go study at the feet of the Master more!!

Mucho apologies...
February 7, 2009 3:50:50 PM

fazers_on_stun said:

Mucho apologies...

*pats back*

Its ok its not easy being a ass clown.

Word, Playa.
February 7, 2009 4:02:35 PM

fazers_on_stun said:

Mucho apologies...

here is a good starting point: Evil Intel at it AGAIN! http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/852/1032852/in...

notice the use of a triple crown here.
1. called Intel evil
2. used Enquirer to prove a point
3. anything written by Charlie Demerjian

i know it isnt perfect but its a good rough draft.

February 7, 2009 9:33:31 PM

I thought it was pretty good, but it does lack the luster that thunder gives forth to all of us unbelievers and ones who have not read the good book...

Only the most faithful non sinners get to read the good book... To even look at a Intel add is a sin, which most of us are all guilty of, which is why we will never aquire the great amount of knowledge that Thunder has...

Thunder is the protector of AMD and will lay down all non believers!!! :lol: 
February 7, 2009 9:44:38 PM

We must find an intel fanboy of equal power to destroy Thunderman once and for all.

Such a vast fanboy that they actually liked intel during the P4 era. *shudders*
February 7, 2009 9:51:58 PM

ahh the need to balance the equation, sounds like it should be a scary movie spoof like on the matrix. It could be a very funny reel.
February 7, 2009 9:56:29 PM

But seriously, Intel and AMD both suck.

VIA and S3 ftw!!!
February 7, 2009 10:15:05 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
Core i7 System Buyers Guide

Quote:
When the System Buyers Guide: $1000 to $2000 was published a few weeks ago it was obvious the last system guide in the series should be the High End Buyers Guides for systems above $2000. It was our full intention at that point to present both AMD and Intel systems for our High-End Buyers Guide, but an AnandTech meeting with all the editors quickly changed that idea. It was the consensus that as of today there is only one CPU at the top of the performance heap, and that CPU is the Intel Core i7.

With the introduction of the Phenom II, AMD now has a legitimate competitor to Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad systems. The recent price cuts by both Intel and AMD in that market segment just reinforced the fact that Phenom II competes very well with Intel Penryn. Perhaps with higher speeds Phenom II processors might make the High-End Buyers Guide in the future, but as of today the Intel Core i7 owns the high-end of the CPU market.

:o 

Thundy would be so proud of me!

/runs for the hills :) 

Well, I think another kid missed the target, AGAIN.

AMD doesn't have to produce a CPU that produces higher benchmarks then Intel's offering. If AMD did, their CPU would be more expensive. (Just like i7 is now)

There is no difference between a Core i7 and a Phenom II with regards to how they run a game or playback a Blue Ray. There are countless videos on youtube which prove this. There is however, a HUGE price difference between then two chips. The Phenom II is priced at $240 and the Core i7 is priced at $1080. That's an $840 difference.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/catego...

I have a 46" Samsung Series 5 (1080p) monitor. Gee, I wonder where I got the money ?

Bottom line is, AMD saves you money. Intel doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwcKyrHHQac

Does it make any sense for any one to waste $840 on a chip that will be obsolete in a few MONTHS?

If you are sensible individual, you will answer, "No."
February 7, 2009 10:38:56 PM

They found us RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 8, 2009 1:26:05 AM

enigma067 said:
The Phenom II is priced at $240 and the Core i7 is priced at $1080. That's an $840 difference.

Indeed: Intel can charge $1080 for their quad-core CPUs and still hit their sales targets (if they weren't, they'd be cutting the price), while AMD have to slash the price to $240 to get anyone to buy them.

Good for us, not so good for AMD.
February 8, 2009 1:57:03 AM

monkey see monkey do...
February 8, 2009 2:33:10 AM

when I bought it there were a already around 60 reviews on the egg of people who bought it at full price, and I paid full price at $269 or $275 so no not really true nobody was bying it. I think alot of people wanted to wait for AM3's to come out but like me I said to hell with it and upgraded anyways. It is a good processor, period. Not the best but I am sitting at 3.6ghz stable at stock, temps are not even close to being an issue, so can I get more out it? maybe, but whats the point it is not the fastest, but it is fast.

BTW, if you look on the egg, sales for the two higher I7 models don't look so hot, there are less then 100 between the 940 and the 965 model. It's not like there flying of the racks, people are not standing in line to drop $500-1000 to get them. I know that doesn't mean people don' want them, but wanting and getting are two very different things, and don't help sales for Intel.

920 is a different story, there have been around 350 sales or reviews. I7 has also been out alittle longer then the Phenom II's, not much but alittle. I am not saying new egg is the only place to get your hardware, but it is a place and just a example of one place's sales.

The Phenom II 940 sales are around 257 and the 920's sales are about 39.

I still say alot of it has to do with AMD screwing themselves because of the upcoming AM3 platform and new processors for it. Just mho.
a c 123 à CPUs
February 8, 2009 4:43:53 AM

djcoolmasterx said:
We must find an intel fanboy of equal power to destroy Thunderman once and for all.

Such a vast fanboy that they actually liked intel during the P4 era. *shudders*

Hey I liked Intel durning the Northwood P4 era before Athlon 64 came around. They were not that bad. It was Prescott that was bad.

And since I never had enough money to build a new one I cam in right when the Q6600 was the best buy quad. I wanted a quad for reasons unknown.

enigma067 said:

AMD doesn't have to produce a CPU that produces higher benchmarks then Intel's offering. If AMD did, their CPU would be more expensive. (Just like i7 is now)

There is no difference between a Core i7 and a Phenom II with regards to how they run a game or playback a Blue Ray. There are countless videos on youtube which prove this. There is however, a HUGE price difference between then two chips. The Phenom II is priced at $240 and the Core i7 is priced at $1080. That's an $840 difference.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/catego...

I have a 46" Samsung Series 5 (1080p) monitor. Gee, I wonder where I got the money ?

Bottom line is, AMD saves you money. Intel doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwcKyrHHQac

Does it make any sense for any one to waste $840 on a chip that will be obsolete in a few MONTHS?

If you are sensible individual, you will answer, "No."

Fazer, this is what you need to do. Useless crap, post two CPUs that are no where near the same performance and price then act like what you say matters. Thats what you need to do.

As for enigma, how about you look at the Core i7 920 which at stock performs better than the Phenom II 940 in pretty much everything then compare prices there?

And as for your TV, either you made extra money on the streets (no shame there) or ou decided to pay for it with a credit card like most people who can't truly afford anything they have.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2009 2:02:22 PM

enigma067 said:
..snip..

I have a 46" Samsung Series 5 (1080p) monitor.

Wowsers. I bet you could get a full-body tan with that, as mentioned in the link above! :p 

Quote:
Gee, I wonder where I got the money ?

Perhaps you went shopping at the local 7-11 with your Bat'leth sword?? Again, see link above :D 

Quote:
..snip more useless stuff..

Isn't it about time for a NEW Youboob video from you??
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2009 2:06:11 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Hey I liked Intel durning the Northwood P4 era before Athlon 64 came around. They were not that bad. It was Prescott that was bad.

And since I never had enough money to build a new one I cam in right when the Q6600 was the best buy quad. I wanted a quad for reasons unknown.

Fazer, this is what you need to do. Useless crap, post two CPUs that are no where near the same performance and price then act like what you say matters. Thats what you need to do.

As for enigma, how about you look at the Core i7 920 which at stock performs better than the Phenom II 940 in pretty much everything then compare prices there?

And as for your TV, either you made extra money on the streets (no shame there) or ou decided to pay for it with a credit card like most people who can't truly afford anything they have.

Well I gave it my best shot - time to retire and let somebody else step up and post troll-bait threads :) .
February 8, 2009 2:45:13 PM

medjohnson77 said:
when I bought it there were a already around 60 reviews on the egg of people who bought it at full price, and I paid full price at $269 or $275 so no not really true nobody was bying it. I think alot of people wanted to wait for AM3's to come out but like me I said to hell with it and upgraded anyways. It is a good processor, period. Not the best but I am sitting at 3.6ghz stable at stock, temps are not even close to being an issue, so can I get more out it? maybe, but whats the point it is not the fastest, but it is fast.

BTW, if you look on the egg, sales for the two higher I7 models don't look so hot, there are less then 100 between the 940 and the 965 model. It's not like there flying of the racks, people are not standing in line to drop $500-1000 to get them. I know that doesn't mean people don' want them, but wanting and getting are two very different things, and don't help sales for Intel.

920 is a different story, there have been around 350 sales or reviews. I7 has also been out alittle longer then the Phenom II's, not much but alittle. I am not saying new egg is the only place to get your hardware, but it is a place and just a example of one place's sales.

The Phenom II 940 sales are around 257 and the 920's sales are about 39.

I still say alot of it has to do with AMD screwing themselves because of the upcoming AM3 platform and new processors for it. Just mho.

I dont try to base Newegg sales volume by the number of reviews. Of the thousands of dollars I have spent there, I only post if the product I buy is a piece of crap. Another fatal flaw in their "reviews" is they allow for reviews by people who didn't even buy the product from them. The number reflected sold of the 965 model is a shining example. There are four people where I work that have them and slightly more than that who own 920's. Knowing these dudes, I would bet only one out of the ten bothered writing a review. What I find very interesting is of these guys, they either went big or went with the 920. It was like the 940 wasn't even a consideration.
February 8, 2009 7:45:12 PM

I understand what your saying, and I looked at that also about it not showing that those reviewers bought the product.

My comment was more aimed at MarkG's statment and I believe both sides and everyone is feeling the bad time right now. I do not base my purchase off of how many products have sold either. Just an example is all I was giving. You can get a very general Idea on a product on based on reviews but it is a flawed system to base a purchase on.
February 8, 2009 8:52:03 PM

medjohnson77 said:
It's not like there flying of the racks, people are not standing in line to drop $500-1000 to get them. I know that doesn't mean people don' want them, but wanting and getting are two very different things, and don't help sales for Intel

Hint: Intel don't expect to sell many $1000 CPUs... but every one they do sell is a few hundred dollars of profit to their bottom line. If they're not selling enough, they'll cut prices, because they can afford to do so.

When I worked in the chip business, the profit on a single high-end sale was something like 30x the profit on a low-end sale... selling a hundred high-end chips could pay someone's salary for a year.
February 9, 2009 12:50:45 AM

Mark G Quote:

Hint: Intel don't expect to sell many $1000 CPUs... but every one they do sell is a few hundred dollars of profit to their bottom line. If they're not selling enough, they'll cut prices, because they can afford to do so.

To the point: Amd didn't need to drop there price's for many PII 940 buyers, Including myself. You make it sound as if by your first post that they needed to drop prices to get buyers. Simply not so, I believe the real reason alot of people were holding off is because of the AM3's cpu's coming out very soon. Regardless people are still buying the PII's with only DDR2 support and have been since they were first released. It is well worth the money even at $269 dollars.

Hint: That is why I don't pick up a $1000 dollar chip, I don' t plan on being that guy, investing that much money into any companys pocket for just a bench mark score. I am not saying the I7 965 isn't the top processor, as I have said before, if my 940 PII or my new I7 920 build plays games smooth, and does everything I want it to fast, I would be stupid to go build a I7 965 build. It makes no sense at all. Unless you are making atleast $40,000 bring home a year, and using that I7 965 to do it, or unless your just an extreme gamer that has to have the best and have cash to throw around. I have better things to blow money on, but to each his own.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2009 7:55:43 AM

enigma067 said:

"

Did you realize there was something called the Core 2 series? Ot have you considered the Athlon X2 + HD 4xxx graphics card for Blu-ray decoding?

Seriously, if you are gonna make a point, make a relevant one.

:cry: 
a c 123 à CPUs
February 9, 2009 10:18:26 AM

amdfangirl said:
Did you realize there was something called the Core 2 series? Ot have you considered the Athlon X2 + HD 4xxx graphics card for Blu-ray decoding?

Seriously, if you are gonna make a point, make a relevant one.

:cry: 

Fangirl, ther is no hope for him. He has not only convinced himself that AMD is God but has also convinced himself that he knows whats right no matter what we say or do.
February 9, 2009 10:29:56 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
And one more: USE YOUR LCD MONITOR TO GET A BEAUTIFUL TAN!!

For those of us who spend far too much time indoors reading Tom's Forumz :) 

Is this for real?!
Its amazing what some people consider a viable business these days eh. Even more amazing is that i bet they have actually sold some ^^
I ran the free test and it just looked like a picture of a sunbed.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2009 1:30:23 PM

pr2thej said:
Is this for real?!
Its amazing what some people consider a viable business these days eh. Even more amazing is that i bet they have actually sold some ^^
I ran the free test and it just looked like a picture of a sunbed.

Heh, no it's a joke, just like the rest of the links I posted. If you look closely at the attractive woman in the video, her "tan" looks rather red and blotchy, sorta pre-cancerous. In fact, it's a safety message about not exposing your skin to too much UV.

There's no way you can alter the CCFL lamps in most LCD monitors to selectively emit more UV light - that's a function of the mercury vapor inside plus the coatings that absorb the UV and other wavelengths and then re-emit in the visible spectrum. Then there's red, green & blue filters and then LCD "gates" that control how much of each red, green & blue are passed through to make up each pixel. Hopefully OLED panels will obsolete this in the near future..

This thread is about certain fanbois here, not AMD vs. Intel. The latter has been covered ad nauseum in too many other threads :) 
February 9, 2009 1:38:16 PM

medjohnson77 said:
To the point: Amd didn't need to drop there price's for many PII 940 buyers, Including myself. You make it sound as if by your first post that they needed to drop prices to get buyers.

Then why aren't AMD selling desktop CPUs for $1000? Do you think they don't want to sell CPUs at that price, or is it because no-one at all would buy them?
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 2:59:22 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Fangirl, ther is no hope for him. He has not only convinced himself that AMD is God but has also convinced himself that he knows whats right no matter what we say or do.

We need a mod to lock these kinda threads.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 6:48:28 AM

Blasphemy!
February 10, 2009 7:10:13 AM

MarkG said:
Then why aren't AMD selling desktop CPUs for $1000? Do you think they don't want to sell CPUs at that price, or is it because no-one at all would buy them?

Because AMD are gods, and they are the good doers and Evil Intel is nothing but Evil doers, because they care about us little guys, :sarcastic:  :pt1cable:  :lol: 

Sounds like another circle jerk, or Pi$$ing in the wind, markG, or braggin rights for some not all, ooh I have a thousand dollar processor. I can tell you this, I won't buy a $1000 dollar processor from any company, Intel or AMD. If I made a living with that computer, $40,000 plus a year bring home, and sat at home working from it the bulk of my work day, then maybe, it might be justified, the rest is just braggin rights and eye candy. I will take my Phenom II 940 any day or my Intel I7 920 soon to be build over any companys $500+ processor. I have better things to spend my money on.

To answer your question: I am sure that they (amd) would love to make as much profit off a chip that the consumer is willing to pay, and if a Phenom II was reversed with a I7 performance wise or was at the same level, Yes I do believe there would be people out there willing to buy it at a grand.

In fact if the Phenom II was better then a I7 965, I think that there would be a rebelion against Intel amounst there wana be fans and the die hard fanboys, And Thounder would lead the army to the gates of the Evil empire and strike down all the non believers!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a c 123 à CPUs
February 10, 2009 7:37:27 AM

LMFAO:

Quote:
raikkonen85 (February 4th, 2009 @ 5:46 pm)
u must of got a **** one or just set it up wrong, the 9850s are miles faster

I believe this was in response to the guy above who said the reason the QX9650 was more expensive because it was faster.

I am guessing the 9850 is miles faster..... Wounder what kool-aid he has been drinking.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 9:28:30 AM

randomizer said:
Enigma, please click here.

Click here? Its a trap!
February 10, 2009 2:10:01 PM

I was going to click, but i thought the same thing, its a trap don't do it! LOL.
February 10, 2009 2:37:35 PM

roofus said:
here is a good starting point: Evil Intel at it AGAIN! http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/852/1032852/in...

notice the use of a triple crown here.
1. called Intel evil
2. used Enquirer to prove a point
3. anything written by Charlie Demerjian

i know it isnt perfect but its a good rough draft.

I highly recommend a little change in the draft. ;) 

1. Insult whoever recommends Intel
2. Called Intel evil
3. Use Youtube video made by home users for proof
4. Concludes that Intel is evil.
February 10, 2009 2:39:07 PM

A video from the AMD marketting department works well also.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 9:56:44 PM

medjohnson77 said:
I was going to click, but i thought the same thing, its a trap don't do it! LOL.

It's just an automated google search ;) 
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 10:08:34 PM

randomizer said:
It's just an automated google search ;) 

LOL - I'm sure they knew that already. If you rest the cursor on the link, the actual address should appear in the lower left corner of the status bar, on IE6 anyway :) 

However the other links appear to be NSFW since my work server blocked them. Now I expect to get a nastygram from the IT dept. about Internet abuse :) 
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 10:11:55 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
LOL - I'm sure they knew that already. If you rest the cursor on the link, the actual address should appear in the lower left corner of the status bar, on IE6 anyway :) 

Not everyone reads that :kaola: 
February 10, 2009 11:33:12 PM

not everyone, but I do read them first before I click, just trying to sell the drama Man! LOL.
!