A Case of confusion

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
In a few months I will be building myself a new quad core system. All of my existing machines will shuffle into new roles so I won't have any ATX cases available - I'll have to find one.

I have a nice oak desk and the new computer will be located inside one of the pedestals. The pedestals have plenty of ventilation, but they do impose size restrictions.

In terms of height I have a hard limit of 434mm (~17 1/8 inches). To get even 1mm more I will need to cut apart the desk. I would also like to keep the depth to 480mm (~18 7/8 inches), but I still have some flexibility on this point.

The current setup has a few benefits:
-the machine is out of site
-the noise if muffled
-my nephew can't play with the cables
-my cats can't eat any of the cables

The new system will be either core i7 or whatever chip AMD comes closest with - I'll figure that out closer to build time. It will start with a single dual slot video card, but I want the option of adding a second card later for crossfire or SLI.

So the questions are:
-do any of you know of a good way to search retailers for cases in the appropriate size range? It is very tedious to open the link for each case and go to the specs to see if it fits
-anyone have any recommendations for an affordable case in the size range I need?
-would it be a bad idea to build something from wood that could mount the components and meet the size requirements? I have had several ideas for efficient layouts. They don't need to be fully enclosed because the desk itself takes care of that. My main concerns would be airflow and grounding. With the way the desk is built dust contamination would be no worse than it is with my current machine.

Thanks

Cablechewer

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I had looked at a number of minis before (when I did my last system) but I actually had problems upgrading the power supply in one that I bought and ended up shopping around for a small mid-tower. This time I didn't really give them much consideration because a couple quick searches only turned up cases with small power supplies - it conjured up images of the last time I did this.

Thanks. I will check out the links.

Cablechewer