Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2009 5:34:02 PM

hi i'm using my q6600 not overclocked on my 64bit xp pro
i'm using virtual dub and look what happaned
anu idea how to fix this ??

More :

a c 113 à CPUs
February 7, 2009 5:50:26 PM

What software are you using to display the temperature? What is the idle temp in the BIOS? What temperature is displayed by CoreTemp (if you're not using it)?
February 7, 2009 5:53:53 PM

GhislainG said:
What software are you using to display the temperature? What is the idle temp in the BIOS? What temperature is displayed by CoreTemp (if you're not using it)?

core temp and when i'm using virtual dub the temp spike up then i restart the
computer enter bios and see 70 -74 degree
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2009 5:55:44 PM

jesus bro... your heat sink looks ancient... clean it off and re apply your thermal paste or get a new one!
a c 113 à CPUs
February 7, 2009 6:06:53 PM

I agree with werxen. When you installed the HSF, what thermal paste did you use and how much did you apply? I have a Q6600 with the stock Intel HSF and a thin film of AS5 and it nerver gets hotter that 60°C at full load.
February 7, 2009 7:21:14 PM

Not only should you clean the heatsink, but you should also cut out the swiss cheese case fan grate. It's not doing that rear case fan any favors.
February 7, 2009 8:50:29 PM

joefriday said:
Not only should you clean the heatsink, but you should also cut out the swiss cheese case fan grate. It's not doing that rear case fan any favors.

what ?? i dont understand i'm not from usa can you explain please ?
a c 113 à CPUs
February 7, 2009 9:16:05 PM

What joefriday means is that the rear case fan is inefficient because the airflow through the back is very limited. You could cut out a hole and put a mesh grille to protect the fan. That would be more efficient.

But it won't resolve your immediate high CPU temperature issue. You have to reinstall your HSF properly. Use the correct type of thermal paste (AS5 is pretty good) and only apply as much as required, i.e., a thin film like the thickness of a sheet of paper. Too much or no thermal paste causes issues like you're experiencing.
February 7, 2009 10:17:32 PM

that to me looks like a dust build up problem on the CPU heatsink.

just cleanin that out should eliviate most of ur problems,

also all of the recomendations on here are good advice, so please, either replace the cooler with an after market one, or clean it and re-apply the thermal paste and then do some moddin to ur case to allow for better ventillation.
!