Short Beeps!!! ASRock Penryn1600SLI-110dB

ewanb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hope someone can help... i'm replacing my motherboard due to a blown cap, and I bought:

ASRock Penryn1600SLI-110dB
inno3D NVidia GeForce 9600 512MB DDR3 HDTV+HDCP PCI-E board
2 x 1GB DDR2 667 DIMMS

SATA HD, DVD Drive etc etc...

I just finished putting it all together, and when it turns on I get:

2 x very quick beeps
8 x quick beeps
.... waits for about 20 seconds
1 x single beep

I've been looking on their site but can't find anything helpful... have I bought the wrong graphics card for this motherboard?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Try to power it on with only 1 stick of Ram connected to the MB, no video card, no HD's and see if you get it to post. If so add the other stick and re-recheck for post. You can hopefully isolate the problem once you connect the device that makes it not post.

Here's another possible solution but it depends on your specific MB. Take the side panel off and power on the PC. Look at the MB for lights, usually red yellow of green. The MB manual will usually have a description of what the series of lights means and you can debug the issue doing that.

Hope this helps.

ewanb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

Powered on with 1 stick of ram and no video card and no HDs but still the same series of beeps.

2 beeps
wait
8 beeps
wait 5 secs
1 beep

lost!

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
did the try the other stick of ram? It's probably not that but wouldn't hurt to check. It's either PSU or the Motherboard. Do you have another PSU you can try?

ewanb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I tried the other stick of RAM - same problem... i'm thinking maybe the memory I have isn't compatable, the motherboard is brand new, and the processor works fine on my other system and is supported by this one....

buy more RAM that's specifically for my system??

Is that graphics card supported on that motherboard? I tried the asrock website but couldn't find a clear answer.

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
1. Do you see any lights on the MB that are red or green or yellow, and about 4 or 5 in a row that you can lookup in your manual to see what the MB is telling you?

2. Just because the parts are new, doesn't mean they work. Plenty of things get shipped and need to be RMA'd due to defects.

If you have nothing else connected to the MB except RAM and the PSU, and it's not posting, then their has to be a problem with 1 of those 3. The ram looks like it should be compatable, but I am unsure of the brand so maybe it's not supported.

Check the lights and see if the MB manual tells you anything. If that doesn't work your going to have to switch out parts, if you have them available, and try to test what works and what doesn't.

Does this ram fit into your other PC so you can test it?

ewanb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
There are no lights at all on the motherboard... I turned out all the lights in the room to make sure. The manual doesn't mention lights or beeps. I would have expected a power LED, but can't even see one of those.

The RAM does work ok on my other system, no errors etc...

Heading to bed now to have a think about it - if you can suggest anything else, I'd be really greatful. : )

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
If the ram works in the other machine that eliminates 1 of the 3 possible problems.

I'd test the PSU, see if that works in your other machine, or test if your other PSU makes this machine boot up.

If this PSU works fine, then it's definitly a defective MB and RMA away!

Vallterro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I had the same sequence of beeps for ASUS HD55DE3 motherboard with i5-760 for LGA1156 socket. This MB has video card onboard but it require Intel processor with Graphics Technology. My CPU w/o graphics support and no video card installed at first try. In result there was beep sounds as in your configuration.