cmcghee358

Distinguished
Hello all.

I was tinkering around with 2 computers at once, and I kind of lost attention and Im worried I fried my CPU.

I have an AMD Phenom IIx4 920 2.8GHz. I was using the AMD overdrive utility to bump it up some. I was getting around 3.1GHz stable and was fairly pleased at stock vCore. I was pleased but I thought I could get it closer to 3.5GHz with a bump in vCore.

Well I got a little confused(more than once.) Since I have locked multiplier I had to adjust my HT to like 250, but what I didn't realize is, it was pushing everything else up (FSB and HT obviously) So I began to have stability issues simply because of the locked mulitplier, among other things.

So while I was installing a SSD in the wife's laptop and installing windows, I thought I would pop into BIOS real quick and increase my voltage some and then lower the HT multiplier. Well... I knew what I wanted (1.4v) but I totally got confused with the increment to increase by. So rather than increasing it by .05, I increased it by .5. Effectively making my vCore 1.85.

So I restarted and no BIOS post came up, and I could here my HSF surging in a cycle.

I have already ordered a 955BE C3, but am I right to assume I totally fried my CPU?

Solution
if that still not working remove battery and touch the two posts while unplugged of course. and see it will boot up if not you might have blown it. you might want to remover the heatsink and see if you have any visable marks on cpu or any smells from the motherboard.
hopefully you just had to reset it but good luck

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
if that still not working remove battery and touch the two posts while unplugged of course. and see it will boot up if not you might have blown it. you might want to remover the heatsink and see if you have any visable marks on cpu or any smells from the motherboard.
hopefully you just had to reset it but good luck

Solution

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Ok so I installed my new 955BE, used some AS5 thin layer.

Started up my computer and got BIOS to post. I did notice that my video card was electrically disconnected, so all those times of not posting may have simply been my video not hooked up.

So anyways, got the 955 BE up and working, went into BIOS to check my temps to make sure the AS5 was working ok. Had 26C in my Core, working great imo.

So WITHOUT messing with vCore(which was showing 1.025, most likely cuz of Cool n Quiet) I changed my multiplier from 16x(3.2GHz) to 18x(3.6GHz)

Now this was without messing with anything else, just a little bump on the C3's Multiplier. I saved and dropped from BIOS and I get the fan surging sound again...

I reset and can't get BIOS to come up. Any thoughts?

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Also, there was no smoke and no smell, and no burn/rainbow effects on the old Phenomx4 920.

Maybe I'm having motherboard issues?

Will a BIOS post without a CPU installed? I'm kinda surprised I can't get to BIOS, bad CPU or not.

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
if it crashed on this one too it might be the mobo that hes the issue not the cpus cause if you did not change the voltage much then there was no way your goin to fry your cpu that way. now you have 2 amd cpus? depending on the board it will start to post and then it will poop after it tries to read the cpu and its not there. but i would check before you try it, it might fully ruin your mobo if it wont.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Well I touched the jumpers by the CMOS battery again, and the BIOS fired right up. I got into windows 7 np and I opened up AMD Overdrive to see what was goin on. Im showing Core 0 at 1.6GHz and the other 3 at 800 MHz.

So now Im going to try to flash my BIOS...

And yeah I might have a good 920 laying around now. Might give it to a bud. (But I really think when I gave it 1.85v vCore it screwed it)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Well, flashed my BIOS and everything seems to be working.

The auto Vcore is set at 1.472 and its running warm, Im thinking of lowering the vCore to get my temps down

Other than that it seems to be working just fine.

As for the 920? I don't feel like putting it back in and seeing if it works to be honest. I'll let my friend decide if he wants it.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Quick note on the 955BE

It's stock vCore is 1.472 which seems pretty high to me. So I lowered it to 1.35 and it maintained 3.2GHz np at all and temps dropped about 5C under load

So I dropped it another .025 now its sittin at 1.33v and I actually raised the multiplier to 17x.

So I lowered my vCore .15 and raised my multiplier 1x and its 30m into Prime95.

I'm amazed its even working, never heard of lowering vCore by so much and still raising a clock. Also temps dropped be 7C from 1.472 to 1.33.

Just FYI, seems the chip is pretty efficient.

Never trust The auto vcore setting it always sets it way too high you can prob go even lower then 1.33 i have seen people run them stock at 1.25

TRENDING THREADS