After I change mobo, how do I install Windows?

warofart

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What's the correct procedure, after I switch motherboards, and all the necessary connections have been made, how I go about doing a fresh install of Windows XP.

warofart

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yes it's new, thank you for replying.

So the very first time I boot up, the Bios is gonna come up? It's not gonna attempt to load up the old Windows and crash?

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
You shouldn't have to reinstall windows. Windows is installed to your hard drive, not the motherboard. Just install the motherboard and boot... windows will automatically isntall drivers for it and you are good to go. If you think I am lying... try it and if it doesn't work........... go into the BIOS and set CD drive as first boot priority then reboot with Windows in the drive and follow the instructions.

warofart

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Too late! Everything seems to be working perfectly. Just hit small hitch in the whole too many activations issue, but I just called instead of doing it online.

The other thing is that my 5.1 speakers only have sound on the front left and right. Motherboard does support that.

Be careful about booting up a new mobo from an existing hard drive with a pre-installed copy of Windows. In theory, Windows "should" detect the new hardware and "automatically" install the required drivers, that is providing the hardware changes are not so drastc. If the hardware specs are too different from one mobo to the next, Windows may not even load as it will not be able to recognize the hardware. More times than not, you are better off installing a fresh copy of Windows after swapping out the mobo, give yourself a clean slate and minimize driver conflicts and Windows errors. Dont' get me wrong, just booting using the existing Windows install could very well work, but 15 years of experience has taught me this is a bad idea and typically leads to a fresh install anyway...save yourself the time and just do a fresh install.

Bad, bad, bad advice.
New motherboard, always do a fresh install of Windows, unless the board is a very near replacement board to what you already had.
Even then, it is still better to start over fresh.

warofart

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yes, I agree, that's what I've been hearing from most people. And I gotta say, I've had NO problems so far, no crazy blue screen of death, no weird erros. It's been pretty, pretty, pretty, good.

I got the 5.1 speakers to work again. But I've noticed that the HDD LED is not blinking or doing anything, I think I might have connected it incorrectly.