Sign in with
Your question

Intel Q9400 and Asus IPIBL-LB

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2009 10:52:44 PM

Does anyone know if the Intel Q9400 will work with the Asus IPIBL-LB right out of the box? The mobo specs say it will accept Intel Q9xxx processors. I am running an e2200 now and would like to upgrade. Thanks!

More about : intel q9400 asus ipibl

February 7, 2009 11:52:19 PM

Make sure you have updated your BIOS to the latest version, then check the CPU support list for your MB at the Asus website.
February 8, 2009 2:11:14 AM

I checked and discovered that I currently have v. 5.25 and will need to update it to v. 5.31 which claims to have better support for newer processors. Is the Asus IPIBL-LB the same as, or similar to, the P5K-V G33? I don't see the IPIBL-LB listed on their website. If it is then I guess I should be fine as long as HP confirms that the board can handle it. Thank you for your help.
Related resources
February 8, 2009 4:04:23 AM

Sorry, didn't realize that your MB was OEM'd for HP. It may or may not be the same as the retail market MBs on the Asus website; if not, using one of the BIOSes from the Asus website may "brick" your MB and require buying a new BIOS chip. As you suggested, checking with HP on exactly what CPU it supports, and whether HP has any BIOS updates available, is the way to go.
February 8, 2009 6:58:08 PM

Success! I have updated the BIOS to v. 5.31 and upgraded the CPU to the Q9400. The only issue I ran into was the CPU kit not containing the correct heatsink and fan for my MB (I least I think it was incorrect). My setup uses 4 screw-in mounts and the one supplied has plastic push and lock-in connectors. I added some thermal gel to my existing fan and reused it. The CPU core(s) temperature is running at a steady 37C and seems to be OK. I may invest in a better cooling system soon just to be safe. I'll be sure to post if anything unusual happens.
Thanks again.
February 27, 2009 9:53:28 AM

Did updating the bios enable overclock settings?
February 28, 2009 1:27:58 AM

Perhaps... Sorry but I'm not that technically advanced yet to let you know. How would I determine that?
January 10, 2010 3:09:38 PM

Which bios did you use (P5K-V G33 or HP's)?
March 2, 2010 10:29:53 AM

The latest BIOS for IPIBL-LB at HP is 5.35 at m9510f support page. Probably because Q8200 does not support virtualization, the BIOS does not provide Virtualization selection, even if the CPU is upgraded to Q9xxx. This disables the computer's capability to run XP mode completely.
June 14, 2010 11:13:46 PM

ron860 said:
Success! I have updated the BIOS to v. 5.31 and upgraded the CPU to the Q9400. The only issue I ran into was the CPU kit not containing the correct heatsink and fan for my MB (I least I think it was incorrect). My setup uses 4 screw-in mounts and the one supplied has plastic push and lock-in connectors. I added some thermal gel to my existing fan and reused it. The CPU core(s) temperature is running at a steady 37C and seems to be OK. I may invest in a better cooling system soon just to be safe. I'll be sure to post if anything unusual happens.
Thanks again.

I also installed a Q9400. Where did you get the BIOS update?

Thanks,
Chris
!