Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
So I have an Antec 900 case, with:
a Radeon 4870
Q6600 3.0ghz with a Zalman fan
a Soundblaster sound card
a DX48BT2 motherboard
2 gigs of ddr3 ram

and theres a problem. The problem is that everytime I nudge the front of the case, my computer freezes/locks up. I've tested it and it only freezes when I tap the front panel. Its definitley frozen because the num lock key doesn't respond. Can anybody help me?

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
if you built it yourself, put it apart and rebuild it. Either a card is not well seated, a power cable isn't properly attached or your HDD is defective and cannot withstand shock like it should. Rebuilding should take care of the two first possibilities. If it still happens after, it might be time to RMA the hdd.

Also, make sure that there are no loose wires that could potentially short-out other components.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
im gonna go with a shorting wire either spiking or dipping the voltage to a vital component - a light tap on the case shouldnt do anything unless the whole thing is held together with stickytape and shoelaces....

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
It could be a problem with static electricity being discharged through the front panel of your computer. Are you on carpet when this happens, sitting in a chair? What's the physical environment like? You can test this by grounding yourself on the back of the case first and while still touching the back of the case touch the front panel with your other hand and see if it still happens.

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Yea, I sit on a chair and the computer is near me on the ground. I think everything is wired decently. The only thing that is barely touching is the start button, but I plan on buying an extension.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Ok check you Sata cables if one of them is pressed to tight against the case it will mess with windows, trust me i have a nak for messing with them trying to Hotswap my storage sata.

Hope this helps ya