Do I need an aftermarket cooler?

aquicl

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I OC'ed my E6550 from 2.33ghz to 2.7ghz
With the stock cooler the CPU runs at 60-65 C.
Are these temps OK? or should I get an aftermarket cooler (even if I'm gonna get a new CPU in 5 months)?

This far I didn't feel any problems with pre-2008 games with 2.33ghz cpu clock. I didn't try any new ones yet.
What is the recommended CPU clock for newest FPS, RPG, RTS games? (I game at 1280x1024)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my rig:
core2duo E6550 2.33ghz (1333 fsb , 4mb L2) OC'd to 2.7ghz
2gb DDR2 800mhz CL5
ASUS p5-KPL mobo
Radeon hd4770 512mb GDDR5 (didn't get it yet)
400w Thermaltake PSU (12v _14A + 12v _16A)

Solution
60-65 should be OK since they will not stress the cpu as much as you will.

I rebuilt an older machine we have here in the office, using a stock E6850 at 3.0GHz with the stock Intel cooler on an Intel motherboard. It gets its temps up in that same range or a bit more with some Prime95 testing and this is apparently what Intel made the chip to do.

If there is a chance that environmental conditions would make the temps go higher, such as if they use it in a warmer room than you do, or if it will collect lint where they put it, then you might consider a new cooler. Of course when you give it to them you could drop the speed back down a little and they wouldn't know the difference.

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
if you want to bring the temps down i would they are running alittle warm but nothing crazy are these number at full load or just when playing video games. cause if its 65 on video games then i would suggest getting an afterstock cooler. you might even get a higher overclock to be stable if you run a bigger heatsink.
hope this helps

aquicl

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

These are the temps when I play games. When idle it generally runs below 50 (sometimes below 45).
2.7ghz is the max I could get so far. It's either because my mobo doesn't allow to increase the VCore, or my 800mhz CL5 RAMs cant run fast enough.

Actually I'm good with 2.7ghz. I'm gonna give this rig to my parents and get a new one for myself in 4 months.
If I run my CPU at 60-65 C for 4 months, will it still be able to serve my parents for a while?

In the case of buying a cooler I was thinking of these 2:
Zalman CNPS8000 (33$) (cooler and quieter than the stock one)
Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 pro (17$) (quieter than the stock one)

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
If you have not increased the lifespan of the cpu should be little to no effect on the overclock and cooler wise you might want to look at the thernaltake max orb its not massive and at like 60% speed its silent and around 40

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
60-65 should be OK since they will not stress the cpu as much as you will.

I rebuilt an older machine we have here in the office, using a stock E6850 at 3.0GHz with the stock Intel cooler on an Intel motherboard. It gets its temps up in that same range or a bit more with some Prime95 testing and this is apparently what Intel made the chip to do.

If there is a chance that environmental conditions would make the temps go higher, such as if they use it in a warmer room than you do, or if it will collect lint where they put it, then you might consider a new cooler. Of course when you give it to them you could drop the speed back down a little and they wouldn't know the difference.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
You could buy a cooler that supports S775 and whichever new socket you might be going to yes? That way you can put it back to stock with the parents, and still use your new cooler.

65 while gaming is a bit warm, but not bad. OC might be because of the lack of Vcore, or a bad memory divider. If you list your settings we might get a better idea.

aquicl

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I think I'm gonna do that very thing.

My ASUS p5kpl mobo doesn't allow to adjust Vcore or ram's voltage. So I believe this is th max OC I can do with this board.

Thanks.