Do you think it is possible to upgrade to Palm 6.0 a Palm ..

May 16, 2005 10:18:39 AM

I have a PalmOne T5 running under Palm 5. Do you think Palm will ever
upgrade the firmware to use Palm OS 6?

I know the T5 was supposed to come out with that OS, but didn't (it was
also crippled with bugs when it came out so I imagine they had to rush
it out to the shelves)

I tried PalmOS6 with the emulator from the SDK, I like it. I wish
they'd upgrade it some day :)  I'm sure the T5 is powerful enough!

More about : upgrade palm palm

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:27:38 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 06:18:39 -0700, Rigs wrote:

> I have a PalmOne T5 running under Palm 5. Do you think Palm will ever
> upgrade the firmware to use Palm OS 6?

No, for several reasons. One of which is that your T5 will run better
under OS5.

> I know the T5 was supposed to come out with that OS, but didn't

You are mistaken. OS6 was not for handhelds. It's for palm-based phones.
The T5 was never slated to get OS6.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:28:19 PM

Rigs wrote:

> I have a PalmOne T5 running under Palm 5. Do you think Palm will ever
> upgrade the firmware to use Palm OS 6?
>
> I know the T5 was supposed to come out with that OS, but didn't (it was
> also crippled with bugs when it came out so I imagine they had to rush
> it out to the shelves)
>
> I tried PalmOS6 with the emulator from the SDK, I like it. I wish
> they'd upgrade it some day :)  I'm sure the T5 is powerful enough!

Isn't the OS held in the BIOS?

Notan
Related resources
May 17, 2005 4:22:24 AM

So, will my Treo 650 work under OS 6??

--
---
(remove x before emailing)

> Rigs wrote:
>>
>> I have a PalmOne T5 running under Palm 5. Do you think Palm will ever
>> upgrade the firmware to use Palm OS 6?
>>
>> I know the T5 was supposed to come out with that OS, but didn't (it was
>> also crippled with bugs when it came out so I imagine they had to rush
>> it out to the shelves)
>>
>> I tried PalmOS6 with the emulator from the SDK, I like it. I wish
>> they'd upgrade it some day :)  I'm sure the T5 is powerful enough!
>
> Isn't the OS held in the BIOS?
>
> Notan

I think you are confused. A BIOS is a Basic Input Output System which allows
hardware (ie Motherboards on your home PC) to come up so that an OS can be
loaded. You are probably thinking that the OS on a Palm is loaded into EPROM
which is how the BIOS is usually installed on motherboards. Some Palm
devices such as the Tungsten T3 have Flash memory, a type of EEPROM
(Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory), that can be updated
with the proper program and binary file. Other Palms do not have Flash
memory for the OS and cannot be upgraded.

TC
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:04:02 AM

Tony Clark wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Rigs wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a PalmOne T5 running under Palm 5. Do you think Palm will ever
> >> upgrade the firmware to use Palm OS 6?
> >>
> >> I know the T5 was supposed to come out with that OS, but didn't (it was
> >> also crippled with bugs when it came out so I imagine they had to rush
> >> it out to the shelves)
> >>
> >> I tried PalmOS6 with the emulator from the SDK, I like it. I wish
> >> they'd upgrade it some day :)  I'm sure the T5 is powerful enough!
> >
> > Isn't the OS held in the BIOS?
> >
> > Notan
>
> I think you are confused. A BIOS is a Basic Input Output System which allows
> hardware (ie Motherboards on your home PC) to come up so that an OS can be
> loaded. You are probably thinking that the OS on a Palm is loaded into EPROM
> which is how the BIOS is usually installed on motherboards. Some Palm
> devices such as the Tungsten T3 have Flash memory, a type of EEPROM
> (Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory), that can be updated
> with the proper program and binary file. Other Palms do not have Flash
> memory for the OS and cannot be upgraded.

Ooops... Thanks for the correction!

Notan
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:59:57 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:22:24 +0000, dennis wrote:

> So, will my Treo 650 work under OS 6??

Maybe, but since you can't upgrade the OS on it, it's irrelevant.
!