Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec case front USB assembly

Last response: in Storage
April 19, 2010 11:26:06 PM

Is it possible to replace the older USB 1.1 connectors with 2.0 USB connectors on an Antec Performance Plus enclosure?

If so, how and where do I find the correct replacement parts?

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 20, 2010 1:15:10 AM

As long as the motherboard supports USB 2.0, you should be able to do that. I'm not sure where you can find USB ports specifically, so may be someone else can chime in. If that is a no go, something like this is the best way to go:

http://www.directron.com/kw2580n.html
a c 415 G Storage
April 20, 2010 4:36:49 AM

USB 1.1 and 2.0 both use the same connectors, so there shouldn't be any issue with connecting your case wires to a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.

USB 3.0 uses different connectors, though.
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 9:57:09 PM

buwish said:
As long as the motherboard supports USB 2.0, you should be able to do that. I'm not sure where you can find USB ports specifically, so may be someone else can chime in. If that is a no go, something like this is the best way to go:

http://www.directron.com/kw2580n.html

Thank you for your reply.

I have already added a card reader from Directron which also supports USB 2.0, and it works very well. I just wanted to be able to use the case connectors since they are very convenient.

Thank you.
m
l
April 27, 2010 10:02:38 PM

sminlal said:
USB 1.1 and 2.0 both use the same connectors, so there shouldn't be any issue with connecting your case wires to a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.

USB 3.0 uses different connectors, though.

I did connect the case connectors to the motherboard, and the m/b does support USB 2.0. But when I plug something into the case connectors, I get the message, "This device could perform faster."

I know it's a minor issue, but I wanted to be able to use the case connectors. It appears there is some minor circuitry inside the case which limits it to USB 1.1. I am considering trying to salvage the circuits and connectors from a small external USB 2.0 port, and installing it into the case. I though perhaps there were upgrades to the case from Antec.

Probably it isn't worth the effort to try to replace it with salvaged parts.

Thank you.
m
l
May 27, 2010 8:39:37 PM

Best answer selected by jc_816.
m
l
!