Changed processor and system freezes

troed

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I have an e-machines that I bought about a year ago and today I tried to change the CPU from a Celeron D 2.0ghz to a Celeron D 3.33 ghz that I had sitting around.
I took all the proper precautions, an anti static wristband, I scraped all the old thermal paste off the CPU fan and cleaned it with alcohol and did the same with the CPU, then reapplied fresh thermal paste to the CPU.
Once I swapped them and I started the computer I was met with the screen that says the CPU has changed and I need to go into the bios and change it in the CMOS settings, but there was nothing in there to change regarding the CPU so I exited and let the system start up where I made it as far as the welcome screen to Windows then it just froze up, I left it for about half an hour and then did a hard shutdown.
After that problem I put the old CPU back in and went through the same steps as before only to have the same problem.
The first thing I tried was resetting the CMOS by taking the battery out and leaving it for about twenty minutes which worked for about an hour and then the computer froze again, and again I left it for a while and ended up having to do a hard shutdown again and when I rebooted the first time I was met with the chkdsk screen for my recovery partition where as soon as the countdown got to six the computer would freeze again, if I pressed a key to skip it I would make it to the welcome screen or sometimes even to the desktop before the computer would freeze up again.
I received one blue screen throughout this adventure but I think the computer froze as it was coming up because it was all messed up. It showed a 0x0000001A error and I couldn't decipher the rest of it.
Untitled-1.jpg

So I tried booting it with just 1 stick of ram and still got the same result with either stick.
Then I reset the CMOS again and checked in with Windows Updates and I was all up to date and with the motherboard manufacturer to make sure I had the latest BIOS.
Any suggestions besides a reformat? I want to keep that as a last resort.

XP Home SP3
2 gigs of ram
onboard graphics and sound

Thank You.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
First- taking battery out does not neceserally reset cmos. There is a jumper on m/b You need to move to reset. Secondly 3.33GHz processor needs more power than 2GHz and Your PSU or m/b voltage regulators might not be able to supply enough juice for it especially since it is couple of years old. If You have spare PSU or can borrow one try it.

troed

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
The thing is that I am still having the problem with the 2.0 GHz CPU, so the PSU should be alright I would assume, either way I tried a new PSU, the original one was 160 watts so I put in a 250 watt one that I know is good (I took it out of my Folding At Home box) and after that the computer would not POST the light behind the power button would come on and the fans would run but that is all it would do, no picture came up on the monitor, then I put the old one back in and the same thing happened after a couple of reboots the only thing I got was this screen.
Untitled2.jpg

I am pretty sure removing the battery did reset the CMOS since the time and date were reset but I did it by moving the jumper just to make sure.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I would say that emachines use very cheap power supplies.

On the socket 478 days the powersupply and motherboard had to be changed every time due to the powersupply blowing up..

I would suggest you try a new power supply too.. I know its not that much help but emachines usually have these problems. I have repaired about 20 with the same fault...

160 watt psu's are absolute rubbish and youll need atleast a good 300w. It looks like that the board has been in trouble too as this is how the fault usually begins..

My moneys on the mobo being damaged by the crap psu..

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor chips forget BIOS settings without battery power.

Removing the battery does indeed reset the BIOS every time irregardless of there being a reset jumper.

You may have to wait maybe 30 seconds or so after removing the battery to clear BIOS settings.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.htm

btw, .......... necessarily

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
if the mobo is bad, then M$ will allow you to use your OEM windows cd key with a different mobo. That being the case, I'd spend a little more and get basically a new computer.
intel
MOBO $53 (gigabyte) + 2 gig $23 (Kingston) + pent dual core $73= $150.
GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775

amd
MOBO $55 (gigabyte)+ 2 gig $23 (kingston) + x2 brisbane $55 = $133
GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2

both systems will give equal performance

with emachines, I assume you have a mATX case