Sign in with
Your question

Strange 4850HD problem that no one else seems to have

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2008 12:08:15 AM

Ok here is my story. I purchased a Visiontek Ati 4850 HD 512mb. I have the d975xbx2 intel mother board and running a oc'ed e6600 @2.7, 2 gig of pqi turbo 800 ram. I origanly had a nivida 7950gt extreme 750m 512. Ok so first off let me tell you i have done the following to try to fix this ongoing issue. Booted into safemode and used a 3rd party driver sweeper to sweep out all old card drivers. restarted normaly and then began to install the updated ati drivers. Now I have tried 8.8 8.11 and 8.12 beta. All of them so far do this after i restart the system to finish the installation: After the windows load screen finishes and begins to bring up the login screen the monitor goes black and says that there is no signal. The plug for the monitor has not been touched nor disconnected. once i boot into safe mose and unistall the drivers it gets to the login screen fine. Now i know its not a blue screen issue cause with the screen black i typed in my password and hit enter and i hear the sound for logging in. Is this a majorly bad driver problem? Or dose ati 4850 not support Vista ultimate 64? or dose my mobo not support the card? This board clams to be crossfire ready so why would a ati card have so many issues? Well i hope someone could help me solve this headech of a nightmare before i decide to sell or toss this video card out the window for wasteing 160 bucks out of pocket and my time and for makeing me reinstall windows to see if that was the issue.... :??: 

More about : strange 4850hd problem

December 9, 2008 12:25:32 AM

OK, Lets try to diagnose this. Do you have adapters on the video cable? Have you tried a different monitor? In the end it just mite be a bad card that needs to get RMA.
December 9, 2008 12:30:53 AM

I have heard of that monitor lost issue before, although it has NEVER happened to me and i have owned more than 5 different ATI cards in 8 years in 4 different monitors, CRT and LCD.

Anyway: instead of trying with Driver Sweeper try with DRIVER CLEANER. It is a different program and always has worked for me at least. I have not used Driver Sweeper and can't tell you if it is equally good or even better, but since Driver Cleaner has always worked for me, i can only suggest that you use that, then reinstall your drivers and see if that helps.
Also try to use 8.10 or 8.11, as 8.9 were premature with the HD4xx0 and 8.12 are still beta.
If still have problems try your card on another PC (a friend's PC maybe?) if it works there, then you might have to reinstall Windows because of something **** up there. If it does the same on another try a 3rd PC and if it does the same then send it back for replacement.
Related resources
December 9, 2008 12:46:01 AM

no adapters used. Like i mentioned before with out any driver everything is fine just cant run the card to full potential. Im not shur but i tried to install only the driver to without CCC and same problem. I can't RMA the card cause i purchased it from a circet city that was going out of business. trying to find someone willing to try my card on there pc might take some time. and i dont got the cash atm to try another monitor....
December 9, 2008 12:46:49 AM

Also i Cant find driver cleaner anywhere for download. That is one hard to find software to get free.
December 9, 2008 12:48:35 AM

First thing first ive herd of 3rd party drivers being much better so im going try hotfix
December 9, 2008 1:06:53 AM

I have also had this problem more than once on different systems and always with ATI cards.. The fix was to use a different HDMI cable. The OP didn't say whether the monitor used a DVI-D or HDMI connector, but it's only the ones with the newer HDMI input that seem to have this black screen problem. It's to do with the wiring of the cable, which varies between HDMI standards.
December 9, 2008 1:14:35 AM

well now windows issues... after booting my pc back up its saying my copy of vista isnt genuin... and now i can open up control panel or any of its features. anyways im using a dvi cable... my card dosent have himidi nor dose my monitor... ????
December 9, 2008 1:28:15 AM

Strat212 said:
well now windows issues... after booting my pc back up its saying my copy of vista isnt genuin... and now i can open up control panel or any of its features. anyways im using a dvi cable... my card dosent have himidi nor dose my monitor... ????
/

Ok, the issue is with a cable that has HDMI one end or DVI the other, or uses an adaptor, which you didn't have or need. For sure a Windows reinstall was not needed, nor is it a driver clean issue. It sounds like a resource conflict; the entire memory address space for the card is not needed until the driver is loaded and full bandwidth of the card is called for. The card can get into an "illegal" memory assignment where it does not see and cannot correctly map to the memory range the computer's BIOS asks for. This cause either the system to hang, or what you're seeing, black after the driver loads. First, try pressing and holding the bottom-right "insert" key immediately after turn on, this is a forced warm reset of resource assignment. Failing that just reset the CMOS entirely, remove the BIOS battery and power for a moment to clear all settings.

As for the Vista timeout, you'll have to telephone for reactivation. Interestingly a BIOS problem can occasionally make the computer look different enough to Vista that it thinks the hardware has changed, thus prohibiting automatic reactivation. Also there is a known bug where Vista's first edition can "forget" registration, requiring a Hotfix and reactivation.
December 9, 2008 1:30:08 AM

You might want to try a monitor with a lower native resolution or a different DVI cable. If you can't do that or it doesn't work see if your monitor has a vga/dsub input try that as well (with a dvi->dsub adapter of course).

Also some more info that may be of use to you: some people with monitor blanking issues (not exactly your problem but similar) have solved them by selecting 'Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays' and/or 'Alternate DVI operational mode' catalyst control center.
December 9, 2008 1:37:16 AM

pshrk said:
Also some more info that may be of use to you: some people with monitor blanking issues (not exactly your problem but similar) have solved them by selecting 'Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays' and/or 'Alternate DVI operational mode' catalyst control center.

Yah but you have to get INTO Windows first, this doesn't show up in Safe mode. The correct mode should always be automatically set during install.
December 9, 2008 1:41:50 AM

True, thought i'd give him the info now in case he does get into windows somehow, perhaps by using a different monitor, although the settings may get reset when he changes monitors.
December 9, 2008 1:45:13 AM

pshrk said:
True, thought i'd give him the info now in case he does get into windows somehow, perhaps by using a different monitor, although the settings may get reset when he changes monitors.

I foolishly changed the alternate DVI radio button once, and it was a devil of a time getting the LCD display working again, so that's a good point.
December 9, 2008 1:52:20 AM

Thanks busted ill get to that and see what happens going to solve the vista thing first.
December 9, 2008 1:54:14 AM

i could try the stupid s video cable... and see if that works sence i have one of thouse laying around
December 9, 2008 2:02:58 AM

BTW thanks a bunch for your guys help so far. Certantly is better to get other opinions instead of hitting my head aginst the wall
December 14, 2008 11:03:58 PM

Ok im back vista issue resolved and card issue resolved. The dvi to vga sub did work later reasearch insists the lcd monitor i am useing dosent support the card apparently. most people who have had this cable issue reported fixing it to use dvi agian by buying a newer lcd monitor. Now though another issue arrives after one is resolved. Purchased 2 more gigs of ram a 1 gig match mem pair that is the same as the 2 that in there now but the two new are 800 mhz and the 2 old are 667 mhz after install of new ram the mother board gives 3 beeps and nothing pops up on display not even the mobo startup screen that says press F2 to enter bios. I have a d975xbx2 intel mother board. Anyways just letting you all know the dvi vga thing worked and thanks for the tip!
December 14, 2008 11:21:52 PM

Mem issue resolved... Such a idiot... -.- put 1 of each pair in the same channel. now each pair is in the same channel lol wow shoulda referred to the mobo's book before assumeing which set was what channel.

over view on new pc configuration:
Mobo: D975xbx2
Vid card: Ati 4850 HD
Mem: Matched pair 1 gig each PQI ultra turbo 800mhz, Matched pair 1 gig each PQI Turbo 667 mhz times on all the mem is the same at 5 5 5 15.
180 gig HD
40gig Raptor HD
Lightscribe dvd burner
Mem stick panel
Floppy that dosenr seem to work lol

Case: First Gen Viper1
December 14, 2008 11:54:42 PM

lol btw get driver SWEEPER not driver CLEANER... free and simple.
December 15, 2008 10:26:36 AM

just something i noticed the other day - in the catalyst control center window theres an option for displays, in there there is a tick box which mentions re-detecting displays every time it starts, just wondering if unticking and maybe setting a custom resoluton/refresh would help when using your older screen?
!