Solved

PC makes crackling sound

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Speakers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 8, 2009 8:12:39 AM

My 2 year old PC is making a weird crackling sound at times.
It started when I connected new speakers with subwoofer, there was the crackling (coming from the back, where the PSU is) and the system wouldn't start up, and I thought I smelt something burning(not sure on that one). When I removed the speakers it started OK.

Then on couple of occassions it wouldn't start up when I press the power button, then after I wait some time it starts up OK.

Today I heard the static crackling sounds, it happened only while I was scrolling - weird. I tried winamp - no sounds. Tried a movie - no sounds, only when scrolling a web page or word processor. Opened the case, sound comes either from mobo (around CPU/RAM) or PSU. Opened up the PSU - looked inside - there's white stuff on some of the capacitors(glue?) that's turned brown on top of few of them, some caps seem to be bulging.
Any ideas?

More about : makes crackling sound

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2009 9:20:13 AM
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 8, 2009 1:35:06 PM

13thmonkey - Excellent reference, photos, and links!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2009 1:39:16 PM

I was looking for another link that also told you how to replace them, but couldn't them.

Didn't want to say that the mobo is probably on its last legs, and he should really be backing everything up...
m
l
February 8, 2009 3:57:26 PM

13thmonkey said:

Didn't want to say that the mobo is probably on its last legs, and he should really be backing everything up...

Yep, it looks like in the pictures - the caps are bulging and there's brown stuff on top, although it's hard to tell if it came from inside or if it's burnt glue. How likely is it that the mobo will fail on me, anything I can do about it? The capacitors on it seem fine.

Thanks for the quick reply and reference!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2009 4:59:23 PM

ok, normally these are on the mobo, but if they are only in the psu, then replace the psu and you will be safe, however if the psu goes before you do that you could lose the mobo/cpu/hdd/gfx

post system specs, country of residence (so we can link you to appropriate sites) and future intentions for your pc (next 2 year view would be enough) and i'm sure we'll be able to give you a decent set of options for PSU's

m
l
!