Problems w/new 180 drivers from nvidia

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I recently d/l the new 180 drivers from nvidias website and had some problems as soon as I installed them. On start-up my screen would flicker once it got to the desktop. While playing COD 4 I noticed the sides of some of walls of the buildings would flicker and turn black. I have an EVGA 8800gt not o/c'ed and was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues with the new drivers and if there is some thing I need to do to resolve them. I have since went back to the older 178 driver and everything works fine now, but would reinstall the new one if someone has a fix...thanks...system specs on my config page

G

The same happened with me. On start-up my screen would flicker once it got to the desktop. Then the system freezes. I have the Asus version of the 8800GT. I've went back to the old driver, no problems. Any findings so far?

jibus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I had a similar problem, except my dual displays stopped working after installing the 180 drivers, and my secondary monitor was now set as my primary, and the primary would only work for boot up, then as soon as the Windows Vista loading screen would start, it would switch to second monitor, and shut off the primary. It was also maxed out for resolution and 1280x1024, instead of the 1600 widescreen it was before.

Then, I uninstalled drivers, went into safemode and used driver sweeper and ccleaner to remove all old drivers and registry entries, and rebooted. My primary monitor worked fine, max resolution, with no drivers installed.

So I installed the drivers I had previously, the 178.24 I believe, and I'm still having the same issue with the dual displays not working, and resolution being capped for some reason. When I go into Nvidia control panel, it shows both monitors as present, but when I apply dualview or cloneview, it shudders, and resets back to my secondary as the primary.

I have tried every driver version from nvidia all the way back to the 160's, and it still won't work. Each time, I am booting into safemode and using driver sweeper and ccleaner, and making sure all driver entries are deleted before installing new ones. I have also tried only have the 1 monitor connected, to each output. With 1 monitor connected, it maxes out the resolution at 1280x1024, and boots with alot of flickering and wait time for the picture to finally show.

I have also run sfc on vista to make sure nothing is corrupted there. I am now currently running with no drivers, on the primary monitor, at my max resolution. Every time I install any version of nvidia drivers, it does not boot properly, puts it on low resolution, and is not working properly. I have talked to 3 different local techs, they are lost too.

The real kicker here is I have XP on a different partition of this same computer, and the pc and card work fine with dual monitors, max resolution etc. It is only on the vista, after installing the 180 that I now cannot seem to resolve.

Any help is appreciated.

System: Vista Home Premium, Intel CoreDuo 6600, 4gbs Ram, EVGA 8800GTS, 22" WS and 19" monitors, all updates, no overclocking or tampering with normal settings, etc.

K

SLI-FX PC GAMING

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I HAD SAME PROBLEM AS MOST PEOPLE ARE HAVING THIS IS HOW I SORTED IT OUT: TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER REMOVE GRAPHICS CARD/S REBOOT USING YOUR MOTHERBOARD VGA OUTPUT. YOU MAY HAVE TO ENTER THE BIOS OPON REBOOT TO SELECT THE MOTHERBOARD VGA TO PRIMARY OUTPUT INSTEAD OF THE PCI CARD.
SELECT START-CONTOL PANEL- ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS, THEN UNINSTALL THE NVIDIA DRIVERS.
TURN OFF YOUR PC REPLACE GRAPHIC CARD/S.
PLUG BACK IN YOUR MONITORS INTO YOUR PCI/GRAPHIC CARD/S AS DESIRED.
REBOOT THEN INSTALL (REV) 171.16 NVIDIA DRIVERS.
I HAVE CARRIED OUT THIS FIX ON 87 PC'S SO FAR, ITS MY JOB. IVE TRIED OTHER WAYS BUT THEY DONT WORK.
HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU.

___SLI-FX PC GAMING.____

G

and if my motherboard does not have any vga output on it???