Sign in with
Your question

N00b! First computer build ever. Need help selecting mobo...

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2009 6:12:13 PM

The GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Or the EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

I do not have experience with any brand but from what I have read, and my price range, these are the best for me.
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2009 8:56:56 PM

I would go with the Gigabyte, it seems to be a better overall system. it is SLI/Crossfire ready and the EVGA isn't. I would recommend DDR2 since it has a lower latency.
March 16, 2009 1:07:13 AM

Doesn't EVGA have a much better customer support system though? And if the board QUALITIES are about the same then shouldn't I go with the EVGA over the Gigabyte?
Related resources
March 16, 2009 2:21:17 AM

Upendra09 said:
it is SLI/Crossfire ready and the EVGA isn't.

Really? From the EVGA system specs:
Quote:
3-Way SLI & Crossfire Ready

Quote:
I would recommend DDR2 since it has a lower latency.

Might have a little trouble getting that to work with a DDR3 mobo.
March 16, 2009 2:35:42 AM

Thanks for the recommendation but it would be nice to know *why*....
?
March 16, 2009 3:06:19 AM

Here is what I suggest. EVGA has this cool thing going on where they will let you try out any of there products for 2 weeks and all you pay is shipping to the next person in line. You do have to give them credit card info in case you steal it or something but it's really cool. I was able to buy all my PC components and put them into the 790i FTW mobo and try it out to see if I wanted it. And if a product arrives at you defective the person before you pays for it (unless it was broke in shipping then it just get's sent back.) But I think that if a product of yours breaks because of a faulty item they let you borrow they will replace it for you. It's pretty cool. So borrow the mobo you are thinking of and if you don't like it then get the other.
March 16, 2009 3:19:39 AM

4 of my last 5 builds have used gigabyte mb's and i've never had any problems. i'm using ud4p right now good oc'er, nice layout, support for sli and crossfire . it has a 3 year warranty and dual bios so if you screw it up it's easily recovered. i'm running ocz 1600 cas 7 6gb ddr3 kit, asus 4870 x2, 2 wd black 640's in raid 0, 1 wd black 1tb and 2 sat optical drives plus my case has a built in esata port so 8 sata connections are more than enough. raid set up in less than a minute. download the drivers and latest bios from gigabyte.us and you'll be good to go
March 16, 2009 3:34:19 AM

that evga program sounds fantastic but i need the computer to be finished completely in less than a week after i receive the parts because i'm giving my mother my iMac...
March 16, 2009 11:49:09 PM

I have a few more questions to anyone:

Is Gigabyte's failsafe bios THAT important of a feature? (i do not plan to do any over clocking).

and i already plan to purchase 2 nvidiaevga gtx 260s. will they perform better with the evga board?

many thanks
March 17, 2009 12:19:02 AM

I have read a lot about Vista 64bit issues in the UD5 so i think i'm going with the EVGA. then if i do have problems their excellent support will make up for it. unlike gigabyte...
!