Sign in with
Your question

Windows and raid 0

Last response: in Storage
April 20, 2010 8:29:07 AM

i have a problem with booting into the desktop....and it happens with vista or xp...it gets to the status screen,,,,the bubble goes across the screen, and will go into the desktop....sometimes if i boot with last know config,,,it might go into the desktop then

i am running amd gig ma790gp-ds4h motherboard, and have 2 seagate hard drives...they are same model #,,but different in storage size -500 vs 320.....

my thoughts are that the 2 different size hard drives are causing me problems.....something just different about em,,,even though same model number....seagates 7200.11

anyone have an other thoughts :ouch: 

More about : windows raid

a b G Storage
April 20, 2010 1:01:39 PM

So you have these 2 HDs in a RAID 0 array. I'm going to assume that the array size is 320GB - if the drives are the same size, the extra space will not be used by the array, so that's not an issue.

Did it ever work, then stop working? Have you tried any utilities to check the consistency of the array, or even chkdsk to validate the data on the drive?
m
l
April 22, 2010 9:01:10 AM

thanks for helping with suggestions....i have dismantled the raid array, and finally got windows xp running...i am not sure what the problem is...sort of think its got something to do with the seagate drives maybe,,,,,i should try another make hard drive and see what happens....i have run chkdsk, messed with the ahci and ide settings , drivers......spent a lot of time on it......
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
April 22, 2010 1:47:03 PM

Note that you will not get much benefit out of RAID0s on XP due to the way XP uses partitions. You're best off when you stick to Windows Vista or 7.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 22, 2010 2:24:47 PM

sub - could you explain that a little more? How does XP use partitions that it won't benefit from raid 0?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 22, 2010 3:07:52 PM

XP creates partitions at 31.5KiB offset or 63 sectors - an odd value that destroys many of the benefits of striping RAID. That's why RAID performed so poor under Windows all these times.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 create partitions the proper way - with 1024KiB offset which means it is aligned with all RAID0/RAID0+1 and SSDs; however some RAID5 are still unaligned with this offset and would need manual adjustment. Windows does not support using bare disks without partitions, which would have solved this issue. Windows also doesn't support dynamic stripe sizes, like ZFS does.

On XP, most RAIDs will see higher sequential performance, but very little random I/O performance gains. With a proper RAID0 setup, those will scale as well, as you can see in these sets of benchmarks:
http://submesa.com/data/raid/geom_stripe
http://submesa.com/data/raid/geom_stripe/page2
m
l
May 24, 2010 11:55:25 AM

well....one thing i just found out, and will give raid a try today again,,is that in vista..you need no raid drivers for the 3rd party drivers....the drivers are included in the operating system...so that could be my problem. :o 
m
l
!