AHCI enabled still reading IDE

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I am confused now. I enabled AHCI and did a fresh format of my drives in windows 7 professional x64. The issue is that all my sata drives are still being read as IDE by the bios and by windows. Any help would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention its a CrossHair III mother Board. Enables AHCI BEFORE fresh 7 install, got it all installed and the bios says AHCI is enabled, yet next to each drive there is a IDE term next to them.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Sorry my iphone fails at typing. That would be very vital information sorry i forgot it. The devices are all have IDE next to them in the bios and device manager list them all as ATA devices rather then ahci or sata. That and there are no hot swap options

When you look in Device Manager under "Disk Drives", it's perfectly normal for the drives to be displayed as "ATA" even though the controller is operating in AHCI mode.

Similarly, you'll see all your SATA channels listed as "ATA Channel x" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". However at the end of the ATA channels you should see a device labeled "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"